USMC "Patrol" Field Cap??

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

I picked this off ebay and not real sure what it is. The pattern dates back to late WW2, called a "cotton field cap" and it went back into production during the Korean War since the wool lined flaps made it a desirable cold weather field cap. I've seen it called a "patrol cap". Both the Army and Marine Corps had them made during that period. But this one is odd. Construction is basically the same but it's made of HBT material and lacks any spec markings other than an inkstamped eagle globe and anchor on the inside plus "QM 503 U.S. / 7 L". And the brim is not as well made as on regular govt contract caps. Could it have been a sample pre contract item? Maybe made at the USMC Phila Depot?

post-4-1194095631.jpg

post-4-1194095653.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is an interesting cap. Nice find.

Is it made of USMC pattern HBT or army pattern? Is it the WW2 shade or the Korean era shade? I would think it is a sample or experimental since the actual cold weather caps were made with water repellent material that also offered some wind resistence.

Attached is the Korean era USMC marked cap that I have for comparison.

post-5-1194102415.jpg

post-5-1194102421.jpg

post-5-1194102429.jpg

post-5-1194102434.jpg

Greg Robinson

I also have a USMC contract "cotton field cap w/visor" dated 1952 and it's in unissued condition. It's color is similar to this one I just found but a darker shade. Since this hat I just picked up is also unused I'd say the color shades were different. It is an "Army pattern" HBT but that doesn't mean much since even with WW2 Marine items that wasn't an absolute thing. Other than the cloth used and the color shade not the same the only other difference is the thickness and stitching of the brim. I don't see it as an issue item but a sample. When the specification was written in August 1950 the Marine Corps may have originally considered using HBT material since that's what they'd been using since WW2. But for the reasons you mentioned, wind resistance and water repellancy, this was changed.

Greg

Greg Robinson

pic.........one on left is the cap described above. One on right is a 1952 contract USMC cap. Pic taken in natural light really shows off the color difference. Plus note the different size of brim.

One on left is more of a WW2 color shade and not the olive green 107 used in Korea.

Greg

post-4-1194105405.jpg

craig_pickrall

The reason I asked about which pattern HBT is that I originally thought that marking looked more Army than USMC. I suspect this was a sample made by the Army QM for the USMC. I would guess that prior to this these caps had never been made by the USMC but purchased from Army stockes. They decided to make their own or have them made and the Army QM prepared samples based on their patterns but using material to suit USMC needs. There may be similar samples in other material. It will be interesting to see if this brings any out of hiding.

Greg Robinson
The reason I asked about which pattern HBT is that I originally thought that marking looked more Army than USMC. I suspect this was a sample made by the Army QM for the USMC. I would guess that prior to this these caps had never been made by the USMC but purchased from Army stockes. They decided to make their own or have them made and the Army QM prepared samples based on their patterns but using material to suit USMC needs. There may be similar samples in other material. It will be interesting to see if this brings any out of hiding.

Craig

Excellent theory. thumbsup.gif And the "QM" marking is consistent with early Korean War not Viet Nam War period as the seller of this hat described it. Both the Army and Marine Corps use the same specification date....11 August 1950....so I can buy into the theory that it was an Army spec originally and then handed over to the USMC. Far as I know all Marine caps of this design were contracted out for manufacture.

Greg

craig_pickrall

I checked my group of Field Caps and found a version that had the "cheap" brim like your cap. The version I have does not have any stitching on the brim. It is a pattern date of 4/20/1944. The brim is not a quirk as I have the same pattern from 3 different makers. Of the 3 caps one is an earlier lighter pattern and two are darker and match the color of the Korean era USMC cap. All 3 were made in 1944.

Greg Robinson
I checked my group of Field Caps and found a version that had the "cheap" brim like your cap. The version I have does not have any stitching on the brim. It is a pattern date of 4/20/1944. The brim is not a quirk as I have the same pattern from 3 different makers. Of the 3 caps one is an earlier lighter pattern and two are darker and match the color of the Korean era USMC cap. All 3 were made in 1944.

That adds credibility to the theory that this hat was a sample made when the Army WW2 cotton OD field cap pattern was dusted off and submitted to manufacturers for contract at the beginning of the Korean War. Both the Army and Marine Corps knew in Aug 1950 that a cold weather cap would be a good thing to have in stock.