M1895 Lee Navy Reproduction Rifles

Grizzly Adams
But doesn't 7+3+3 equal 13?

Yes and No! ;)

"Flap to be six and one-half (6 1/2) inches deep, with a crow's foot worked in black silk at the lower corners; upper corners to be rounded; to have eleven (11) buttonholes around the sides and upper edge so arranged as to show seven (7) across the top and three (3) on each side. "

Note that the regulation says 11buttonholes and is describing the number of buttons by position on the flap.

Here's a pic of a original trousers with 11 button flap, shown on an old thread:

post-626-1208743341.jpg

For more pics and information see this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...niform&st=0

The 1905 regs say 7 across the top and 4 on each side, for 13.

Sorry for taking this off topic. :unsure:

Yes and No! ;)

"Flap to be six and one-half (6 1/2) inches deep, with a crow's foot worked in black silk at the lower corners; upper corners to be rounded; to have eleven (11) buttonholes around the sides and upper edge so arranged as to show seven (7) across the top and three (3) on each side. "

Note that the regulation says 11buttonholes and is describing the number of buttons by position on the flap.

Here's a pic of a original trousers with 11 button flap, shown on an old thread:

post-626-1208743341.jpg

For more pics and information see this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...niform&st=0

The 1905 regs say 7 across the top and 4 on each side, for 13.

Sorry for taking this off topic. :unsure:

That's no problem. Thank you for the correction on the number of buttons on the trouser flap. I'll make sure the trousers have the correct amount of buttons on them instead of the 1905 regulation 13 which is still used today. Also want to thank you for that link showing the Span Am US Navy uniform! But once my custom made uniform is complete I'll be sure to post the photos of it.

Grizzly Adams
That's no problem. Thank you for the correction on the number of buttons on the trouser flap. I'll make sure the trousers have the correct amount of buttons on them instead of the 1905 regulation 13 which is still used today. Also want to thank you for that link showing the Span Am US Navy uniform! But once my custom made uniform is complete I'll be sure to post the photos of it.

Good luck with the uniform! Sounds like a great project. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Due to finding Buffalo Arms making 6mm Lee Navy ammunition these rifles will be made for their original caliber.

I heard someone was making new virgin brass in 6mm USN.

• 2 months later...
Good luck with the uniform! Sounds like a great project. :thumbsup:

Sorry I haven't updated this subject, but Norton Firearms has received its 62nd order of a reproduction of the Model 1895 Lee Navy rifle my many collectors, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans and museums across the US. They are will open to any more orders. Production has started already and the first firing prototype will be available in March of this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I haven't updated this subject, but Norton Firearms has received its 62nd order of a reproduction of the Model 1895 Lee Navy rifle my many collectors, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans and museums across the US. They are will open to any more orders. Production has started already and the first firing prototype will be available in March of this year.

This is a really exciting project. Will any spare parts be made? I have an original in excellent condition ( not from the Maine), that has been fired within the past 25 years. Someone used it for hunting hare in Maine, and put a "recoil pad" on it. So I need a butt plate to put it back into original shape. I would very interested in a belt and bayonet. The fellow that runs S & S Firearms seems to have a lot of expertise in the Lee-Navy. He also collects them.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
This is a really exciting project. Will any spare parts be made? I have an original in excellent condition ( not from the Maine), that has been fired within the past 25 years. Someone used it for hunting hare in Maine, and put a "recoil pad" on it. So I need a butt plate to put it back into original shape. I would very interested in a belt and bayonet. The fellow that runs S & S Firearms seems to have a lot of expertise in the Lee-Navy. He also collects them.

Bill

Awhile ago I stumbled across this website as I also was looking for spare parts for the Lee Navy. I particular, I was looking for the stock,upper handguard, and all the metal pieces that would attach to the stock (bayonet lug, butt plate,etc). Went to Norton Firearms website to get the phone number and called them. Talked to Jeff Norton and he advised the spare parts I needed would be available for purchase. He asked why I was interested in just the stock and handguard. Told him I had an operable Lee Navy barrel and receiver assembly and needed the stock. He offered a trade if I was willing to send him the barrel/receiver so he could disassemble and examine the parts,sketch them, etc. so he could get some idea how he would approach manufacture. The trade was a win-win for both of us and I might add, very generous on his part.

• 4 weeks later...
The Arctic Fox

I have an original Lee Navy #58xx. It is now being restored by me. One item I need is a complete bolt for .236. If interchangeable I would buy a repro bolt. Does anyone know about these new rifle bolts?

When will the rifles and kit be available for sale and what will be the cost? Thanks......Bobgee

I have an original Lee Navy #58xx. It is now being restored by me. One item I need is a complete bolt for .236. If interchangeable I would buy a repro bolt. Does anyone know about these new rifle bolts?

S & S firearms has bolt bodies and other parts listed in their catalog. Contact them at www.ssfirearms.com

When will the rifles and kit be available for sale and what will be the cost? Thanks......Bobgee

Had a telcon with Jeff Norton at Norton Firearms this past weekend. He advised his schedule was to start production the first week in March and to have a prototype by the beginning of June. Recommend you contact them at www.nortonfirearms.com to get pricing.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm one of the few living people who shot the venerable .236USN in a Winchester Lee Navy sporter (only 1700 made). It happened in the half sixties my best friend found in a gun shop two Lee sporter at the price of 60$ each and he bought one of them. I couldn't afford such a sum so I didn't buy the other. In that price was include a dozen of clips loaded with civilian Winchester soft point ammo so we went to our range to try the gun. We shot a couple of clips each but we had the surprise that all cases had the neck split doing the age so we stopped to fire cause we couldn't recover cases suitable for reloading. The rifles were imported in the mid '30s cause in Genova there were a lot of "four legs" game while most italians go for birds and they came from the collection of a deceased gentleman.

Months ago I've read and article on American Rifleman about the Lee Navy and I found out that writer never had the rifle in his hand at least to know how it operates. He wrote the clips would fall off after the last round is chambered while clip fall immediately after the top round is placed below the floating extractor which acts also as magazine "lip".

Fortunately the rifle can be loaded with loose rounds cause the clip is quite complicated to reproduce. Clip holds cartridges in the extractor grooves as usual but these are blocked by a complicate piece of spring wire acting as the two small thongues of an ordinary '03 clip. Inserting the clip in the magazine, a stud in the back side of the magazine force the wire loop, protruding to the center of the clip, to rotate and free ammos from the clip which fall to the ground.

As regards caliber I'd say a better choice would be the .225 Winchester which after all is the son of the venerable 236.

post-67-1345877145.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got an email yesterday from Jeff at Norton Arms saying they are waiting on the pressure tests for their Winchester-Lee 1895 Navy rifle so maybe we'll have an availability date soon .

• 1 month later...
Jon-Paul Bingham

Winchester-Lee 1895 Navy rifle

would be interesting in order one too....

How does one get on this list??

• 1 year later...
Onefreeman

I would also like to get on the list for the reproduction 1895 Winchester Lee Navy rifle if the project proceeds. How do I get on the list?

• 1 month later...

After several calls/Facebook message no replies so can't get any updated info. Academic now anyway since I just got a nice original WInchester-Lee 6mm 1895 Nay rifle; will post photos when it arrives.

• 2 years later...

So I'm assuming this whole project went nowhere?

I think so. Tooling up a workshop for build a complete rifle is highly expensive cause most operations require dedicate tool, fixture and gauge. Of course you have to be pretty sure for big sales.

• 3 years later...