M1895 Lee Navy Reproduction Rifles

1917Corpsman

Hello All,

I'm working with Norton Firearms on a reproduction of the Model 1895 Lee Navy straight pull rifle. Not sure if there is any demand for them, but would appreciate any input. Also the .236 caliber cartridge is not going to be feasible so looking for input on an optional caliber, was thinking 5.56x45 NATO? The rifle will be made of completely new machined parts with the sling, mills 12 pocket cartridge belt and a bayonet if one is found and able to be loaned.

Looking forward to your replies!

Richard

canadian bacon

if the price is right and you ship to canada i might get one

1917Corpsman
if the price is right and you ship to canada i might get one

Price will be around $800 per rifle. I'm the one currently designing the belts while Norton Firearms will be making a prototype rifle for presentations. Currently Norton Firearms does ship to Canada.

Richard

1917Corpsman
do you know when they will be avaliable

They will not start on the prototype until late September this year. Currently we are trying to figure a suitable replacement caliber for it since 6mm Lee Navy is no longer mass produced. Currently we are deciding over the following calibers:

5.56mm NATO

7x57mm Mauser

30-30 Winchester

30-40 Krag

Richard

1917Corpsman
PM inbound!

Due to finding Buffalo Arms making 6mm Lee Navy ammunition these rifles will be made for their original caliber.

1917Corpsman
Due to finding Buffalo Arms making 6mm Lee Navy ammunition these rifles will be made for their original caliber.

15 orders now on these rifles. Any others interested? This will be the complete set with the sling, cartridge belt, bayonet scabbard and frog. Prototypes will be starting in late September.

1917Corpsman
Who is Norton Firearms? Got a link?

Norton Firearms is a private firearms manufacturer from Chicago and Kenosha, Wisconsin. They do not have a site at this time.

Not to derail you on this, but the Lee is a really obscure weapon. No re-enactors would likely want one and you can’t shoot any Cowboy Action stuff with it. Why can’t someone make a Krag carbine? I’d think the demand for a new repro would be high. Heck, I would buy one myself!

1917Corpsman
Not to derail you on this, but the Lee is a really obscure weapon. No re-enactors would likely want one and you can’t shoot any Cowboy Action stuff with it. Why can’t someone make a Krag carbine? I’d think the demand for a new repro would be high. Heck, I would buy one myself!

Right now 18 people are wanting to buy these replica and functioning rifles. Jerry Lee of What Price Glory is currently getting the belts made he told me. Most of these people that want to buy this rifle are reenactors aboard the USS Olympia for the US Marine Corps ship's detachment unit. Buffalo Arms also reproduces the shells and bullets for 6mm Lee Navy. These rifles will give even collectors the chance to own something that you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for. Last Winchester Lee I saw sold for $7,400 and that was just a carbine. These rifles will be sold by the set with the sling, bayonet and scabbard with frog and the cartridge belt with the equipment suspenders.

Norton Firearms is working on re-manufacturing the obscure weapons in history and mainly historical military firearms. They can also make you either a Krag rifle or carbine if you wanted one. The thing is there has to be more than just one order on a rifle.

There is certainly *some* demand, mostly among Marine (and some Navy) reenactors and historians. We will be talking, in depth, with Richard and the company.

Leatherneck72

Hey...how cool is this?? I was waiting for someone to make one! I will definitely be in line for one. I own an original taken off of the USS Maine after the sinking, and the original belt and bayonet. I wouldn't dream of shooting it, but would love to blast away with a new one.

Hello All,

I'm working with Norton Firearms on a reproduction of the Model 1895 Lee Navy straight pull rifle. Not sure if there is any demand for them, but would appreciate any input. Also the .236 caliber cartridge is not going to be feasible so looking for input on an optional caliber, was thinking 5.56x45 NATO? The rifle will be made of completely new machined parts with the sling, mills 12 pocket cartridge belt and a bayonet if one is found and able to be loaned.

Looking forward to your replies!

Richard

A group of folks who would be interested in a repro in the original caliber hang out on the Grand Army of the Frontier board over on http://www.cascity.com/forumhall

• 1 month later...
A group of folks who would be interested in a repro in the original caliber hang out on the Grand Army of the Frontier board over on http://www.cascity.com/forumhall

Okay folks! Production line is ready to start work of these rifles in possibly mid to late September. A perfected and operational reproduction will be displayed on the grounds of the Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from June 1st to the 3rd, 2012. I'll be carrying around this rifle in my reproduction Span Am dress blues US Navy uniform. Anyone in that area that is interested in seeing this rifle come to the Reclaiming Our Heritage Living History Event!

• 1 month later...
Grizzly Adams
Okay folks! Production line is ready to start work of these rifles in possibly mid to late September. A perfected and operational reproduction will be displayed on the grounds of the Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from June 1st to the 3rd, 2012. I'll be carrying around this rifle in my reproduction Span Am dress blues US Navy uniform. Anyone in that area that is interested in seeing this rifle come to the Reclaiming Our Heritage Living History Event!

How about posting a pic of the uniform? That could be instructive. :thumbsup:

1917Corpsman
How about posting a pic of the uniform? That could be instructive. :thumbsup:

The uniforms is being custom made for me so I do not have photos of them at this present time. I will be able to tell you it shall include the dress jumper, 13 button trousers with the wide bell bottoms of that period, dress hat with the name USS OLYMPIA on the tally ribbon and a Model 1898 four pocket overcoat. These are all be made in 100% blue wool.

Grizzly Adams
The uniforms is being custom made for me so I do not have photos of them at this present time. I will be able to tell you it shall include the dress jumper, 13 button trousers with the wide bell bottoms of that period, dress hat with the name USS OLYMPIA on the tally ribbon and a Model 1898 four pocket overcoat. These are all be made in 100% blue wool.

I thought the 13 button trousers did not come into use until 1905. :think: During the SAW, I believe the trousers still had 11 buttons.

From the 1897 regs:

Flap to be six and one-half (6 1/2) inches deep, with a crow's foot worked in black silk at the lower corners; upper corners to be rounded; to have eleven (11) buttonholes around the sides and upper edge so arranged as to show seven (7) across the top and three (3) on each side. Pocket in waistband on each side. Small black navy but­tons to be used.

These are fascinating rifles and I'm very jealous of Leatheneck72 :jeal0001: An original from the "Maine." Wow. I believe Bannermann bought the salvaged rifles and sold them, Leatherneck72?

A couple of other things.

I believe this is an original manual for the Lee Navy, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content...-Lee-manual.pdf

Last, but not least, I remember a few years ago Glenn DeRuiter from Sarco got killed shooting one of these rifles. If shooting an original, be real careful.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119731

These are fascinating rifles and I'm very jealous of Leatheneck72 :jeal0001: An original from the "Maine." Wow. I believe Bannermann bought the salvaged rifles and sold them, Leatherneck72?

A couple of other things.

I believe this is an original manual for the Lee Navy, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content...-Lee-manual.pdf

Last, but not least, I remember a few years ago Glenn DeRuiter from Sarco got killed shooting one of these rifles. If shooting an original, be real careful.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119731

These rifles are no in the pre-stages of production. The incident that occured killing Glenn DeRuiter was caused by the wear of a latch in the both used for disassembly. The bolt was what killed him, not the barrel explosion. This has been discussed in between Norton Firearms and other rifle experts and an addition to the bolt which will not be noticeable will be added for safety to insure this occurance will never happen again.

Here's a word direct from Norton Firearms on the replica Lee Model 1895:

http://www.nortonfirearms.com/archives/lee-model-1895/

Richard, I was talking about shooting an original (If shooting an original, be real careful). I figured that whatever happened to Mr. DeRuiter had to do with fatigued metal and worn parts, which you would not encounter on a newly manufactured rifle.

From the 1897 regs:

Flap to be six and one-half (6 1/2) inches deep, with a crow's foot worked in black silk at the lower corners; upper corners to be rounded; to have eleven (11) buttonholes around the sides and upper edge so arranged as to show seven (7) across the top and three (3) on each side. Pocket in waistband on each side. Small black navy but­tons to be used.

But doesn't 7+3+3 equal 13?

The incident that occured killing Glenn DeRuiter was caused by the wear of a latch in the both used for disassembly. The bolt was what killed him, not the barrel explosion. This has been discussed in between Norton Firearms and other rifle experts and an addition to the bolt which will not be noticeable will be added for safety to insure this occurance will never happen again.

Here's a word direct from Norton Firearms on the replica Lee Model 1895:

http://www.nortonfirearms.com/archives/lee-model-1895/

I had read that there was a doctor who had also been shooting there at the time and was at the scene right after it happened and he said it appeared it was an over load of Unigue powder possibly a double charge as that there were rds on the bench with Unique loading data that the shooter had been using. He described that there was a cartridge case that apparently had just been fired before the incident and he said the case showed extreme signs of high pressure and the shooter should not of fired a another time with the same rds. He said, and described in medical terms the damage the bolt caused to the shooters head when it came back. He said the case that had been fired that caused the incident had extreme damage to it to were it had blown apart and there was brass welded to parts of the rifle. So apparently it was an overload of powder that caused the damage. The rifle withstood the first rd but the metal was probably stressed to the point that it wasn't able to prevent the final destruction.

The strengthing and design improvement of the bolt release could very well have prevented the bolt from coming back even with that drastic of a cartridge failure because of extreme pressures. Ray

post-89-1318526910.jpg