Amazing Graffitied Helmet - ACH

Nkomo

I came upon this amazing piece by accident. I was running some errands with my dad today and we just happened to stop by a local surplus shop. I walked in and saw this helmet on the counter. My mouth dropped because you don't see helmets like this everyday. I really didn't have the money for it, but knew this couldn't be left in the shop. This piece needed to be preserved for future generations.

NOW....the helmet has some amazing tribal art work on it. On the front of the helmet is a stylized skull above the word DEATH. On the left side of the helmet is a stylized sun with the words WAR and PEACE written above it on opposite sides. The back portion of the helmet has a stylized scorpion with it's stinger dripping out what appears to be poison. On the right hand side of the helmet is written C-33.

This helmet belonged to a soldier in the 30th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Battalion, 150th Armor Regiment.

The Sgt. whose name was mentioned on the helmet as being KIA, was one of five casualities the brigade suffered during their deployment to Iraq. He was killed July 27, 2004 in Baladruz, Iraq when an IED went off near his vehicle.

DSCN2497.JPG

A picture of the stylized sun. Interesting to note...I have a 3rd ID helmet cover that has almost the exact same stylized sun on the back. Perhaps this was a popular theme during the 2003-2004 time period.

DSCN2492.JPG

Helluva helmet Arch...when it comes to finding the new gear your the man.First your bullet hole lid and now this one.

RD

Awesome helmet!!!...the stylized sun is just like the one used by the metal band "Godsmack".....mike :thumbsup:

Must've been a fan. Godsmacks music was a big thing with me there. Good for getting pumped up before a mission.

Looks like the artwork was done using the permanent ink "map "pens used for adding data and graphics to the plastic overlay film on top of paper maps and possibly Sharpies. There are always a ton of them floating around .

Killer find Arch, glad you saved it from others who may not have appreciated it for what it is. :thumbsup:

Sweet grab dude! It's certainly far more interesting than anything I've picked up at my local haunts. Does it appear to have been used after the design was drawn on the helmet? Sometimes these guys end up with several of these helmets, so I was wondering if this helmet was worn like this or possibly was an extra he kept to use for modern "trench art".

How do you know who it belonged to?

Anyway, awesome find!

Thanks for the positive comments, fellers! :thumbsup: I do think Hoovie hit the nail on the head when he said the art work was done in permanent ink pen. Neverthought of the Godsmack connection. Thanks for connecting the dots for me.

Sweet grab dude! It's certainly far more interesting than anything I've picked up at my local haunts. Does it appear to have been used after the design was drawn on the helmet? Sometimes these guys end up with several of these helmets, so I was wondering if this helmet was worn like this or possibly was an extra he kept to use for modern "trench art".

It does appear to be used, but not abused. The helmet pads and chin strap are sandy and dirty, so it has been used. However, it doesn't even look like the NVG mount hole has ever had a screw in it. Very odd piece to figure out.

I'll bet C-33 is a vehicle number. (C Company, 3rd Platoon, 3rd vehicle if they are still doing it that way).

If this helmet belonged to a tank crewman, would it be unusual if they didn't have the NVG mount on their kevlar?

I'll bet C-33 is a vehicle number. (C Company, 3rd Platoon, 3rd vehicle if they are still doing it that way).

If this helmet belonged to a tank crewman, would it be unusual if they didn't have the NVG mount on their kevlar?

The Sgt. who was memorialized on the helmet was indeed from Company C.

Corpsmancollector

Awesome find Arch! I'm glad it's ended up in good hands and the soldier's memory will be preserved for future generations.

The art work is really something, I'll bet a lot of effort went into doing that.

Saw Godsmack once, many years ago. Hoovie is right, gets you pumped!

Will

Thanks for all the comments. Like I said, I just couldn't let something like this be used for air-soft (not that there is anything wrong with that). It is too much of a piece of art to be used for something like that.