M o H anyone?

Sabrejet

That is exactly my thought but this site said otherwise so we are just waiting on a response as emccomas has asked that question of them. (Is my spelling and pronunciation correct Ian?) :emba0005: Grassyass, Donkyshin, pip pip cheery O'! :rolleyes:

Maybe we should consider adopting Esperanto as the common vehicle of communication on the forum? ;)

PS. For your info, JS and I are cyber-buddies...we're always joshing each other. (Ain't that the truth JS?!) :lol:

From the Quarterdeckmilitaria web site:

1917 NAVAL MEDAL OF HONOR

TIFFANY STYLE, AVAILABLE TO USA CUSTOMERS AS THESE TYPE DO NOT COME UNDER THE STOLEN VALOR ACT.

I sent them an email asking what authority / regulation / information that had that justified this statement. Stay tuned....

OK, Quarterdeck has been heard from. Here is their reply, complete with typos (not to criticize, but to relay the message EXACTLY as I received it).

Hi Ed,

I spoke to the FBI, some special agent that is attached to the Federal Marshals office in Washington, he told me it was based on the currant version of the MOH to stop fraud / stolen valor, in other words people wearing the MOH that have not recieved it.

Gary

Personally, I would want much more specific documentation / authorization before I bought a replica Medal of Honor. I am going to chase this a bit more by asking the FBI if, in their opinion, it is legal / OK for me to purchase a replica of the Tiffany Cross.

Yes, I know what the law says. I want to see what the FBI says. Stay tuned....

Yes, I know what the law says. I want to see what the FBI says. Stay tuned....

As with any law, there's the written law, and there's also how Law Enforcement chooses to interpret the law at any given time.

I can usually drive 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit in my hometown at any given time, without fear of getting pulled over. But the day I do get stopped, I have no defense.

Don't get caught doing 40 in a 35 zone.

canadian bacon
OK, Quarterdeck has been heard from. Here is their reply, complete with typos (not to criticize, but to relay the message EXACTLY as I received it).

Hi Ed,

I spoke to the FBI, some special agent that is attached to the Federal Marshals office in Washington, he told me it was based on the currant version of the MOH to stop fraud / stolen valor, in other words people wearing the MOH that have not recieved it.

Gary

so by that logic all MOH'S from 1862-1944(42 for navy) should be 100% legal to buy and sell in the states :think: im curious

apparently the horse is still kicking

cheers michael

There is a article on the forum(can't find it) I read about 2 weeks ago, it's old, about how the FBI confiscated a tiffany cross MOH and donated it to a museum and it was a fake.

Maybe some of the older hands will remember this article. However it did say the FBI confiscated the medal as it was trying to be sold somewhere in the States.

And it was a Tiffany style cross.

Found it!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=tiffany

There is a article on the forum(can't find it) I read about 2 weeks ago, it's old, about how the FBI confiscated a tiffany cross MOH and donated it to a museum and it was a fake.

Maybe some of the older hands will remember this article. However it did say the FBI confiscated the medal as it was trying to be sold somewhere in the States.

And it was a Tiffany style cross.

Since this thread started with the informational posting of a USAF MOH for sale in the UK by Sabrejet and one of our US members took umbrage (look it up) at the spelling of the word "Honor" in the accepted way "favoured" by our British cousins as "Honour", I was delighted to see the posting of an image of the U.S. Navy Tiffany Cross MOH show up in the above link. Below is that image. Please see the top bar of this fine American-designed and American-manufactured medal and note carefully the word on the top suspension bar. "VALOUR"!!!!! Isn't that spelled wrong? Shouldn't it be "VALOR"? Please 'splain that one, somebody.....please?

Somebody once told me that opinions are like certain human orifaces, and everybody's got one! Facts are better! And BTW thanks to Ian for posting the original info. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

Tiffany_MOH_OBV.jpg

I don't know whether or not this excellent 1985 Time/Life book on the history of the MoH is still available, but I'd heartily recommend it. I found my minty copy in a second hand book shop here in the UK.

post-8022-1314958296.jpgpost-8022-1314958305.jpg

That's where I have to disagree. The simple fact is that the medal of honor like any other medal or decoration is still just a medal. There should be no cult surrounding it. It's the people that we honor not the device that they wear.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you on this one. The medal is much more than "just a medal." It's a overt, real-world, palpable symbol of an act of extreme valor on the part of an individual.

It's rather like the flag of ones country. It's made of various colors of cloth, cut into particular geometric shapes, and sewn together with thread. However, it's much more than cloth and thread. It's the symbol of a country, what a country stands for, and all the great deeds, and great people that, over the decades and centuries, have made that country what it is.