M o H anyone?

Sabrejet

My only point is that there needs to be rational discussion about the matter and not let people create a cult around an inanimate object based on unreasonable arguments and ideas.

Brian,

Unfortunately, there are some topics that transcend rational thinking and reason.

After all, look where the SVA came from!! :lol:

All kidding aside.....this topic is an 'emotional" one, therefore logic has no place in it!

BigJohn#3RD

JS,

Truer words have not been spoken; I agree let's move on as we're down to bare bone on this horse and they is turning to dust when it comes to this subject. But.....

John

As well as the soldiers who sacrificed so much......

That is what I said. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society are the recipients of the MOH.

Justin

That is what I said. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society are the recipients of the MOH.

Justin

The Board of Directors, yes. Members of the CMOS Foundation...MOH not required.

Dave

The Board of Directors, yes. Members of the CMOS Foundation...MOH not required.

Dave

It was my understanding that a recipient of the MOH would then be a member of the society.

Justin

canadian bacon

just wanted to say wow thats a beauty it is nice to see an air force one (my personal favorite design)

thanks for sharing this with us Ian

Michael

just wanted to say wow thats a beauty it is nice to see an air force one (my personal favorite design)

thanks for sharing this with us Ian

Michael

You're welcome Michael!

Ian :thumbsup:

It was my understanding that a recipient of the MOH would then be a member of the society.

Justin

Sure, if you get a MOH, you become part of the Society. However, MOH recipients numbers are declining rapidly. In order to stay afloat, they have the Foundation that non-MOH recipients can join. Most of these folks are good people who really have everyone's best interest in mind. However, there are a number of them that are the MOH recipient "worshippers" and they are the ones who believe no one should even have the RIGHT to own a MOH (or colored likeness thereof) unless they are a recipient or immediate family.

It's ironic that these people "worship" people who sacrificed a great deal (many, their lives) for the VERY freedoms that allow collectors like us to own MOH-related items if we want to...but they refuse to see it that way...they want you to own what THEY want you to own (or not own in this case). Doesn't sound like a free society to me...

Dave

SEABEEBRIAN
Sure, if you get a MOH, you become part of the Society. However, MOH recipients numbers are declining rapidly. In order to stay afloat, they have the Foundation that non-MOH recipients can join. Most of these folks are good people who really have everyone's best interest in mind. However, there are a number of them that are the MOH recipient "worshippers" and they are the ones who believe no one should even have the RIGHT to own a MOH (or colored likeness thereof) unless they are a recipient or immediate family.

It's ironic that these people "worship" people who sacrificed a great deal (many, their lives) for the VERY freedoms that allow collectors like us to own MOH-related items if we want to...but they refuse to see it that way...they want you to own what THEY want you to own (or not own in this case). Doesn't sound like a free society to me...

Dave

Well said!

• 1 month later...

I did not want to start a new thread. However of intrest to this one is this vendor close to me (anything under 1000 miles in this country is close :lol: )

http://www.quarterdeckmilitaria.com.au/products.php?cID=16

Personaly I do not like replicas but his selection is intresting even Civil War MoH's.

Also in regards to VC's, a WW2 Australian Victoria Cross recently sold for over $1 million AUD, thats about $1 million USD. It was the first Aussie WW2 VC on the market.

Sorry, but I have to give that poor dead animal just one more little kick! :w00t:

Could it be, and I am only surmising here, that maybe we should have a few things in this world have have a little reverence afforded them? Maybe it is a good idea in this particular case to not allow a $ figure to ever be attached to something that holds such importance both in sacrifice and heroism! The actions of the select number of recipients reflect the highest level of dedication and devotion that we would(or should) all aspire to! Replicas are one thing. But, the real thing is the representation of a man's life, service, sacrifice and actions above and beyond. It is in a way like trying to attach a $ value to the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution!

The presence of a "why can't I buy one" :crybaby: opinion, indicates that too many have not learned enough history or appreciate enough what that "symbol" represents!

If you ask a MOH recipient what the medal means to him, I'll bet he'll say something like "the lives and the blood shed of my brothers in arms" or "it is a remembrance of my buddies that died next to me"! Try and put a "flea market value" on that!

OK, I feel better now! Sorry Dave!

canadian bacon

okay i have to ask why does he say that the tiffany cross version doesnt fall under the sva ?

eBay # 350486603261

OK, sorry for the dead horse, but shouldn't this thing be hallmarked to be original. Am I missing something here?

OK, sorry for the dead horse, but shouldn't this thing be hallmarked to be original. Am I missing something here?

Not all Original, Government-manufactured MOHs are hallmarked.

Since the "Dead Horse" is still quivering......the referenced Australian EBay seller has an interesting review of MOHs offerred for sale around the globe. Mostly accurate. Good info. Bobgee

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/FAKE-COPIES-OF-...000000010642993

okay i have to ask why does he say that the tiffany cross version doesnt fall under the sva ?

Good question, I would like to hear the answer too if anyone has it? :think:

The ebay vendor over priced it. I have seen "original" unnamed, cased ones for about $1500 Aud here localy.

From memory I was told also that there are 2 original Vietnam named MoH's in Australia, one in the War Memorial and another in private hands.

From the Quarterdeckmilitaria web site:

1917 NAVAL MEDAL OF HONOR

TIFFANY STYLE, AVAILABLE TO USA CUSTOMERS AS THESE TYPE DO NOT COME UNDER THE STOLEN VALOR ACT.

I sent them an email asking what authority / regulation / information that had that justified this statement. Stay tuned....

The worst part about this to me is that they couldn't even spell the name of the medal correctly...

If you are talking about the "U" being in the word "honor", that is the British way of spelling the word. This picture was taken at a British show.

....Kat