M o H anyone?

Sabrejet

I knew that would grab your attention! Yours for only £1100 / $1800. Photographed by me at the "War & Peace" show last Saturday. The Stolen Valor Act is not a deterrent outside of the USA.

post-8022-1311689220.jpg

Sabrejet :thumbdown:

Please do not advertise that on here since the website is still maintained in the United States.

Advertising?! I think not! I was simply illustrating the fact that MoHs are available on public sale outside of US jurisdiction.

Sabrejet :pinch:

Sorry, but it sounds like he's offering it for sale

It's called "ironic humour"...we use it a lot in the UK.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

That's a lot of money though. Too bad it's the Air Force version.

"Too bad...."?! Is an MoH really worth any less having been won by an airman rather than a soldier or sailor?! (and I'm not talking monetary value here!)

Sabrejet :think:

SEABEEBRIAN

I refer only to the design. I am much more partial to the navy version or even the army version than the air force one. It looks quite gaudy to me.

SEABEEBRIAN
I refer only to the design. I am much more partial to the navy version or even the army version than the air force one. It looks quite gaudy to me.

The use of lightening bolts as a heraldic device in air force medals seems strange to me. How about something more simple and elegant like wings?

Interesting picture Ian. Sad to see a Medal of Honor being sold so casually like that...

Justin

Indeed...and there was no visible provenance displayed with it...I'd have expected to see some paperwork at least...but then again, nor did I ask because that would've implied I was interested in obtaining it. I wouldn't give the dealer the satisfaction!

Ian :thumbdown:

SEABEEBRIAN
Interesting picture Ian. Sad to see a Medal of Honor being sold so casually like that...

Justin

That's where I have to disagree. The simple fact is that the medal of honor like any other medal or decoration is still just a medal. There should be no cult surrounding it. It's the people that we honor not the device that they wear.

The simple fact is that the medal of honor like any other medal or decoration is still just a medal.

I would say the United States Government and the Congressional Medal of Honor Society would disagree with that statement.

Justin

The British Victoria Cross (our equivalent to your MoH) is struck from bronze cannon captured during the Crimean War. It's a very plain looking medal...much less elaborate than an MoH...but it's not a matter of simple aesthetics. It what these medals represent.

Sabrejet

SEABEEBRIAN
I would say the United States Government and the Congressional Medal of Honor Society would disagree with that statement.

Justin

Before SVA there was no crime and the FBI didn't care, it was only because a congressman wrote the law that it became an issue. You used to be able to buy the ribbon bar at the exchange for a couple of dollars.

The CMOHS has no bearing on the matter because they are irrelevant. They are an organization with a charter from congress and no authority over anything. The only thing they are trying to protect is their image.

The problem is the perhaps well-meaning (and I use that phrase cautiously) individuals that get their emotions all caught up in an argument because they can't recognize that the medal or ribbon or rosette is only a symbol.

There needs to be a balanced approach to the discussion not just blind rhetoric.

That's where I have to disagree. The simple fact is that the medal of honor like any other medal or decoration is still just a medal. There should be no cult surrounding it. It's the people that we honor not the device that they wear.

Why can't we honor both? They're not collectibles. It hurts no one to keep these off the market. Except the random collector who just has to have one to complete their "display".

It's called "ironic humour"...we use it a lot in the UK.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

We use it a lot here in the US too...or at least I do. Too bad it is lost on way too many people. :think:

We use it a lot here in the US too...or at least I do. Too bad it is lost on way too many people. :think:

Exactly...you are correct...

Ian,

I knew exactly what you meant. It is a shame that people jump to conclusions and get argumentative over the MOH.

Unfortunately, the days of people carrying on a civil conversation are gone.

....Kat

Like some fine wines...it doesn't necessarily "travel" well! It's the basis of the British sense of humour!

Ian :lol:

Justin

As well as the soldiers who sacrificed so much......

I think "owning a MOH" has to be dead horse topic #1...

Can we PLEASE move on...thanks...

And sabrejet, I have no issue with the photo. In fact, I find it interesting what they're being offered for in the rest of the world. It would have been interesting to see if this was a Lordship Industries one with the hallmarks (or without)...

Dave

Dave

You are correct Dave......It is the FIRST "beating a dead horse" Topic!!

I agree...let's move on!

SEABEEBRIAN
Why can't we honor both? They're not collectibles. It hurts no one to keep these off the market. Except the random collector who just has to have one to complete their "display".

Does it hurt the Victoria Cross that they are sold for incredible amounts of money, no I don't think so.

I don't think that it's about a random collector who wants one for a display. With 3,450+ recipients there are more than enough for people and museums alike.

There have been several comments about different medals and people saying that they are custodians or words like that. No, they are property and property has owners. When you use words like custodians then that implies that something is the property of the government and that you only have it temporarily until they decide to take it back from you. The declaration of independence says: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness; well the original quote was Life, Liberty and the pursuit of property. There is no one that is harmed by a collector owning a medal of honor or ribbon or rosette.

There needs to be a philosophical discussion and not a discussion based on knee jerk reactions based on emotions or grandiose ideas.

SEABEEBRIAN

And sabrejet, I have no issue with the photo. In fact, I find it interesting what they're being offered for in the rest of the world. It would have been interesting to see if this was a Lordship Industries one with the hallmarks (or without)...

Dave

My only point is that there needs to be rational discussion about the matter and not let people create a cult around an inanimate object based on unreasonable arguments and ideas.