Odd enlisted man's shirts (WW2)

Raffles

I picked these up online a while back and the photos were not too clear. I thought they were just regular wool shirts but when they arrived there were some odd things about them.

This one has no gas flap and no sign of any labels or markings anywhere other than a faded "R-I 506" inked onto the collar. Rifle infantry?

1001dz.jpg

1003p.jpg

1008n.jpg

This shirt has had the sleeves cropped and hemmed to a short sleeve length. Also it has had a small strip of parachute silk sewn into the neck to act as a sweatband. It's made of the same heavy wool as other ETO shirts.

1009oa.jpg

1013uq.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like these before and has any more info?

• 1 month later...

Why do you consider the first one to be "odd"? Only those shirts marked "Special" had gas flaps (I realise yours has no label ) Therefore it appears to be just a standard issue GI wool shirt. I have examples of wool shirts with the flaps having been cut out (commonly done) and also with flaps of a different material added. Plenty of official/unofficial variants to be had. Your second shirt falls into the latter category. Truncated sleeves on wool shirts were certainly non-reg...I've never seen such a thing before! The parachute silk lining is akin to the rayon lining found in officer-quality wool shirts. I like it!

Cheers!

Ian

Those wool shirts were murder on the neck, sometimes causing a pretty good rash. I've seen a bunch of shirts both enlisted and officer where they had sewn some sort of silk into the collar to try and prevent the rub. As far as the sleeves being cut off, I agree with the post above not reg, and more than likely done post war.

Is that standard issue ? How much did you pay for it ?

I can't remember how much they were. Not a lot as I got them on ebay but they were listed without photos.