VMF-122 Squadron patch grouping on ebay

manayunkman

I have only bought from eBay,never sold anything,yet...

As a bidder,I think that an auction is an auction,and once the auction

starts,it should go to the finish,however bitter that end may be

for the seller.Either put it up for a buy it now sale,or let it go to auction

is my view.I once bid on a train set and no one bid against me,but the

seller yanked the item and ended the auction early.I don't think that this

was right,and I never bid on his stuff again.Now that I think about it,

maybe the reason that no one bid against me was that this person had

pulled this before,and now everyone was staying away.Ending auctions

early leaves a stain on the reputation of a seller that is tough to erase.

This is my opinion from a buyers' point of view.

If I ever start selling on eBay,I will not end auctions early for the reasons

that I have outlined above,and if I am worried that I won't get what I want

for it,I'll add a reserve on it. ;)

Patch

I do agree with you.I have been an ebay member for almost 15 years.I had several item pulled when I was the only bidder or the guy wouldnt ship as he didnt feel it sold for enough.In a perfect world it would run like a normal auction at your local auction house on any given sunday.But even the auctions here are somewhat a minefield.We have local auctioneers who are well known for picking bids out of the crowd to run prices up or have a phone bidder or someone who left a bid.I tend to leave bids anymore as lot of the time I dont want to stay for the one item and waste all day unless its something of real intrest.Most auctioneers are up front but with all the proxibid and auction type sites often more than not you never know if you are really bidding against a real person or a phantom bidder.

Ebay is a whole different field.Just this past week I had a seller call me and ask if I saw his helmet for sale and he lamented about how he had an offer of a grand for it and it was from an overseas buyer.The buyer wanted him to end the auction,ship it,not insure or declare a value on customs etc.The intrested buyer was from Italy.The seller declined but was fishing for more bidders.He felt the helmet wasnt bringing the price he was expecting.It ended at a little over $500.More than enough in my book for a fixed bail with a low pressure liner,but less than he was expecting.I wasnt intrested and I didnt bid.

Just saying ebay isnt perfect and I use to bother me but it doesnt any more as peoples greed(buyer and seller) just never ceases to amaze me.

RD

Patchcollector
Patch

I do agree with you.I have been an ebay member for almost 15 years.I had several item pulled when I was the only bidder or the guy wouldnt ship as he didnt feel it sold for enough.In a perfect world it would run like a normal auction at your local auction house on any given sunday.But even the auctions here are somewhat a minefield.We have local auctioneers who are well known for picking bids out of the crowd to run prices up or have a phone bidder or someone who left a bid.I tend to leave bids anymore as lot of the time I dont want to stay for the one item and waste all day unless its something of real intrest.Most auctioneers are up front but with all the proxibid and auction type sites often more than not you never know if you are really bidding against a real person or a phantom bidder.

Ebay is a whole different field.Just this past week I had a seller call me and ask if I saw his helmet for sale and he lamented about how he had an offer of a grand for it and it was from an overseas buyer.The buyer wanted him to end the auction,ship it,not insure or declare a value on customs etc.The intrested buyer was from Italy.The seller declined but was fishing for more bidders.He felt the helmet wasnt bringing the price he was expecting.It ended at a little over $500.More than enough in my book for a fixed bail with a low pressure liner,but less than he was expecting.I wasnt intrested and I didnt bid.

Just saying ebay isnt perfect and I use to bother me but it doesnt any more as peoples greed(buyer and seller) just never ceases to amaze me.

RD

Yes there are alot of problems on eBay,sometimes a bidder will end up bidding against the seller in another identity or one of his buddies.

I won't name names,but there were a few sellers that I strongly suspected of that practice,one that has been selling alot of choice

vietnam era patches this past year or so in particular,I tend to bid high,and let it set,if I get it,so be it,if not,oh well,it was'nt meant to be

but I noticed that sometimes people were bidding up on my bid in very small increments,and it smacked of bottomfeeding.Also,sometimes I would

see an auction end,and then what appeared to be the very same patch come up again!Maybe the seller had alot of dupes,but some looked identical!

Well,enough of my rant against eBay,I got some great deals,and sometimes I overpaid,so I figure it all sort of evens out in the end.