New Find: Prototype PASGT Helmet

Longbranch

Hey All,

Here's a recent pickup, something I wasn't expecting to come across. For anyone that's not aware of what this is exactly, it's a "phase 2" prototype PASGT helmet, used to finalize the design of the PASGT helmet, put it through some extensive testing, and decide what ballistic material would be used to construct the helmets. The final two pics show it next to an early 1983 contract Unicor PASGT helmet. Both are a size large. Enjoy!

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Nice find. Similar protoypes with camo finish are illustrated in Mark Reynosa's PASGT helmet book.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Great find !! That makes some time I search one for my own collection ! Realy cool !

I've a picture of this helmet tested by a soldier during a training ! :thumbsup: We can easy recognize the camouflage directly print on it !

Oh thats a nice helmet!!...i saw one for sale at a gunshow a few years back and i dont think they wanted too much for it, i had my money tied up in some other helmets and couldnt buy it, always wish i did!... :thumbsup: ..mike

Hey All,

Here's a recent pickup, something I wasn't expecting to come across. For anyone that's not aware of what this is exactly, it's a "phase 2" prototype PASGT helmet, used to finalize the design of the PASGT helmet, put it through some extensive testing, and decide what ballistic material would be used to construct the helmets. The final two pics show it next to an early 1983 contract Unicor PASGT helmet. Both are a size large. Enjoy!

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

An original Fritz helmet, very good, these where the exact type i thought i would be issued when i enlisted in the army in september 1979, this camo "FRITZ HELMET"as they where called, was the type that was always showcased in army periodicals of the time. Alas i never did see one of these, stationed in alaska we where lucky to get the new BDU, we getting them up there a full 7 months after they started to be issued to trainees and became avialable for manditory purchase. this is the type of modern helmet i would'nt mind having in my collection.

I'm glad to see everyone likes it as much as I do. I was pretty stoked to get it... but I figured it wouldn't attract much interest here. There's not much love for the PASGT, even prototype ones, like there is for solid examples of WW2 M1 helmets. So, it's good to see all the comments!

The story behind this one isn't all that interesting... just surfing all the online sites after I get home from work at 2:00 in the morning for months and months... and months... it finally worked in my favor. Found both of the helmets pictured for $100 shipped. The other helmet is an unissued 1983 contract Unicor complete with original instruction manual and the early, hard-to-find, all-cotton chinstrap. Consequently, the cost of this prototype PASGT is basically the same as what a nice WWII M1 helmet liner chinstrap tends to bring.

I'll get more specific as to where exactly I got it as soon as I'm sure the seller doesn't have more where this came from.

From my research, it is obvious that the camo patterns used one these helmets aren't unique... it seems that multiple prototype helmets were painted with the same exact patterns. So, there can be more than one prototype helmet with the same paint scheme. It's possible they used the different paint jobs to differentiate between helmets (such as different sizes, ballistic materials, etc.). There is a nearly identical one to mine pictured here (6th helmet down):

http://www.gostak.co.uk/composites/usa.htm

If you look close, you'll notice the same types of markings in the same general locations. The marking at the top of the dome even shows the same handwriting, evidence that both were handled by the same individual while the helmets were being constructed and/or tested. Mine even has the same tape residue on the front as this one does. Interesting stuff (at least to me)...

Sabrejet, you mentioned similar helmets are illustrated in Reynosa's book. In fact, if you look at the back cover of that book, you'll see that a Phase 2 prototype with the EXACT same camo scheme as my example is pictured next to a German M40.

The neat thing about these is that they were made quite a bit earlier than the actual production PASGT helmets. These prototypes date from 1976-78, making them about 5 years older than the oldest production PASGT helmets. Our current ACH and LWH helmets can all be traced back to this painted up hunk of kevlar.

I'm glad to see everyone likes it as much as I do. I was pretty stoked to get it... but I figured it wouldn't attract much interest here. There's not much love for the PASGT, even prototype ones, like there is for solid examples of WW2 M1 helmets. So, it's good to see all the comments!...

Yeah, it looks pretty boring to me and not worth commenting on... unless you really like helmet collecting! :) This is a rare bird indeed and one to be proud of, I'm sure someone will try to get you to sell it to them but, whatever you do, don't sell it to them... Sell it to me. ;)

flashesandovals
Do you have pictures of this experimental PASGT helmet in use ?

P-E

I have the picture, the book AND the helmet too...

post-9154-1311922886.jpg

Thanks Pascal ! Ok, apparently I've colored pictures you haven't... :thumbsup:

Then here're some additional pictures for your data :

an-pvs10.jpg

an-pvs11.jpg

borg0110.jpg