WWII Early 8th AAF Trunk Group , 303rd BG - Uniforms, Named Medals, LB Certificate

KASTAUFFER

BigJohn#3RD

Very Nice Grouping, they do not get much better than that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards

John

• 7 months later...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Outstanding grouping Kurt !! Me like :thumbsup:

Vic

He is from Illinois too Vic ;)

Kurt

Looks like they didnt waste any time sending him home after he completed his missions in May 1943. By June he was on an air transport plane back to the USA.

Kurt

Zasadil4.JPG

• 1 month later...
DakotaDave

Kurt

An outstanding group bar none..... I don't know if you realize it but he was the lead crew 27 Jan 1943 on the Wilhemshaven mission which was the first mission to strike Germany by U.S. forces.

If you have ever watched the movie "12 O'clock High" you'll know how significant the mission was, everyone, I mean everyone wanted to be on that mission!!!

OUTSTANDING

DakotaDave

KASTAUFFER

Kurt

An outstanding group bar none..... I don't know if you realize it but he was the lead crew 27 Jan 1943 on the Wilhemshaven mission which was the first mission to strike Germany by U.S. forces.

If you have ever watched the movie "12 O'clock High" you'll know how significant the mission was, everyone, I mean everyone wanted to be on that mission!!!

OUTSTANDING

DakotaDave

Thanks DakotaDave!

vicjoy1945

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice to re-visit this grouping Kurt !! Me STILL like !! ;)

Vic

KASTAUFFER
Kurt

OUTSTANDING

DakotaDave

Here is a narrative of the first mission

http://www.303rdbg.com/missionreports/012.pdf

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-3685-0-06147000-1399226958.jpg

Here is a smal group from The Co-pilot of the crew. He had to fly 6 missions after the rest of the crew was done to make up missions he was left off. On the last mission they were shot down and ditched in the channel.

post-3685-0-91454000-1399227381.jpg

Here is a picture of him from the book "First of The Many. A Journal of Action with the Men of the Eighth Air Force".

KASTAUFFER

Walt

Thanks for posting the other crewman's group! I loved seeing it,

Kurt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Kurt...what a fantastic grouping....

my 2 questions are why Observer wings ? or was that what he was when he rotated "back home".......and 2 ...the 306th were "First Over Germany" did he transfer or is the record for Lead Crew just 303rd specific...?

And I am still Wowing over how complete that grouping is for a 42-43 crew

also check some of the ages on that flight log "home"..

Regards

Lloyd

Kurt...what a fantastic grouping....

my 2 questions are why Observer wings ? or was that what he was when he rotated "back home".......and 2 ...the 306th were "First Over Germany" did he transfer or is the record for Lead Crew just 303rd specific...?

And I am still Wowing over how complete that grouping is for a 42-43 crew

also check some of the ages on that flight log "home"..

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

When he was flying his missions the Bombardier wing had not been created yet. They wore Observer wings. On the uniform he wore when he got home there are are Bombardier wings on that.

He rotated home in June 1943.

He was always in the 303rd. The 306th got there first , but the 303rd was part of the Jan 27th Mission.

Kurt

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Still love this grouping, it really is as good as it gets, early crew and completed his missions, great score Kurt.

Cheers Dave