Son Of Veterans Medal Variation?

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

In with the rest of the GAR items I bought yesterday was this Son Of Veterans medal. I went through the great thread on these but there was nothing like this one. Is it a variation of the basic membership medal or for a different service?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

Making veterans' medals was quite a large industry in the late 19th century, wasn't it? It seems like every time two or more CW vets got together, someone struck a new medal.

SCF-Collector
Making veterans' medals was quite a large industry in the late 19th century, wasn't it? It seems like every time two or more CW vets got together, someone struck a new medal.

Not to mention the times when one event might result in literally dozens and dozens of badges, medals, ribbons and other assorted memorabilia being purchased and distributed. This includes items for the guests of the occasion - the Souvenir pieces. I must have 50-75 pieces (just badges/medals/ribbons) for the 1913 Gettysburg reunion - and an equal number or more of other items like pennants, programs, postcards, photographs, flags, and other pieces.

Today people talk in terms of the "economic impact" of various events on the local economy. It's certainly true that the Civil War Veteran events contributed significant economic impact with their badges - both to companies local to the event (or Camp/Post) and to national ones that produced these items for both sides well into the 20th century.

Some day it would be interesting to compile a list of all the different manufacturers we see on the pieces we collect. I've done that for most of my UCV collection. It's interesting to see the number of different companies that existed - and to map them to the timeline in terms of their dominance as providers of these pieces to the events.