Legion of Merit Commander Grade Question

Brig

7 hours ago, ajbUSWM said:

Odd he would wear a foreign order speaking at the Naval War College where he was president. 

So long as he had the authorization to wear it, there's no rule against wearing foreign awards. As a graduate of the Naval War College, I wouldn't have batted an eye if the president of the college wore a foreign award when wearing their full-sized medals. Typically, that job is reserved for an academic-ish distinguished admiral who is on their way out of the Navy, so as long as they're not serving margaritas in their office, the rules for the job are more in line with the civilian academic world rather than strictly military (it's rare to go beyond that job...it's considered terminal...I did later work for an admiral who had another tour post-War College, but he was called out of retirement to take the next job...) 

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

So long as he had the authorization to wear it, there's no rule against wearing foreign awards. As a graduate of the Naval War College, I wouldn't have batted an eye if the president of the college wore a foreign award when wearing their full-sized medals. Typically, that job is reserved for an academic-ish distinguished admiral who is on their way out of the Navy, so as long as they're not serving margaritas in their office, the rules for the job are more in line with the civilian academic world rather than strictly military (it's rare to go beyond that job...it's considered terminal...I did later work for an admiral who had another tour post-War College, but he was called out of retirement to take the next job...) 

Soooooo...  no margaritas then?  This blows...

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Admiral Hayward had an interesting and colorful career... he started out his Naval career in the brig then ended up a 3-star.  Dropped out of high school then ended up on the Manhattan Project.  Took a demotion to lead the nuclear fleet, ... then turned down the CIA Director's role ....