WW2 USMC Fifth Brigade Patch Info Needed

robert_hyman

robert_hyman

I have seen WW1 USMC Fifth Brigade patches. This patch is of WW2 production and is in nearly every museum patch display and WW2 USMC book. I have a couple of questions. :think:

1. Was this patch ever worn post WW1?

2. Why are the colors reversed?

3. Does anyone have any pictures of any variations of this patch?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.post-1575-1311403327.jpg

I have seen WW1 USMC Fifth Brigade patches. This patch is of WW2 production and is in nearly every museum patch display and WW2 USMC book. I have a couple of questions. :think:

1. Was this patch ever worn post WW1?

2. Why are the colors reversed?

3. Does anyone have any pictures of any variations of this patch?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.post-1575-1311403327.jpg

Robert,

This is an answer based upon an "educated guess."

The patch you show was available from the Patch King (and others?) during and after WWII. The surmise is that this patch was produced for military personnel serving in WWII who had previous WWI service with the V Marine Bde. In theory, this patch would have been worn on the right shoulder as a "Combat patch", or more precisely as a "former unit" patch.

The Patch King made several patches for units that had served in WWI as fully-embroidered patches, able to be worn on the right shoulder. All of the patches made like this (as opposed to the embroidered on felt versions) were patches that had no WWII counterparts. One example was the PK version of the 10th Div., which during WWI had used the Roman Numeral "X" as their design, but during WWII it was the 10th Mountain Div design.

Does this make sense? I have never seen any other all embroidered variation of the patch you show.

Patch Johnson

Robert,

This is an answer based upon an "educated guess."

The patch you show was available from the Patch King (and others?) during and after WWII. The surmise is that this patch was produced for military personnel serving in WWII who had previous WWI service with the V Marine Bde. In theory, this patch would have been worn on the right shoulder as a "Combat patch", or more precisely as a "former unit" patch.

The Patch King made several patches for units that had served in WWI as fully-embroidered patches, able to be worn on the right shoulder. All of the patches made like this (as opposed to the embroidered on felt versions) were patches that had no WWII counterparts. One example was the PK version of the 10th Div., which during WWI had used the Roman Numeral "X" as their design, but during WWII it was the 10th Mountain Div design.

Does this make sense? I have never seen any other all embroidered variation of the patch you show.

Patch Johnson

Patch Johnson is on the money and you should only see the patch in the reverse colors and either on a diamond shape or a square with the addition of different colored "V's" for various units. Just alittle more info for the answer. Mort