What type of HBT jacket is this?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1193937778.jpg

I dug this out of my storage and would like to know what type of HBT jacket this is. It has 13 stars on the buttons and I was also wondering if the jacket has faded or were some types made in a much lighter shade? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

craig_pickrall

That is the first pattern of HBT OD uniform shirt. The shades are generally lighter than later shirts. The pattern date is April, 1941. The later shirts were simplified. Pleats, waist band, take-ups, etc were deleted to reduce cost and time as well as materials.

Manchu Warrior
That is the first pattern of HBT OD uniform shirt. The shades are generally lighter than later shirts. The pattern date is April, 1941. The later shirts were simplified. Pleats, waist band, take-ups, etc were deleted to reduce cost and time as well as materials.

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the information.

Yes, a very nice 1st pattern HBT shirt, or more correctly called a "coat". These came out a couple of years before the war and were used by the Army only. They were still in use up to the end of the war.

They were intended as work uniforms to replace the blue denim work uniforms in use previously. They were originally not intended as combat uniforms, but that is what they became anyway, particularly in the Pacific.

These scarce 1st pattern coats were superseded by the common 2nd and 3rd pattern coats which were an improvement in comfort and had much larger pockets (and were also cheaper and easier to make).

Lt.Col. Henry Mucci of the 6th Ranger Bn. wore one of these 1st patterns during the campaign on Luzon Philippines. (the Great Raid).

CB

Manchu Warrior
Yes, a very nice 1st pattern HBT shirt, or more correctly called a "coat". These came out a couple of years before the war and were used by the Army only. They were still in use up to the end of the war.

They were intended as work uniforms to replace the blue denim work uniforms in use previously. They were originally not intended as combat uniforms, but that is what they became anyway, particularly in the Pacific.

These scarce 1st pattern coats were superseded by the common 2nd and 3rd pattern coats which were an improvement in comfort and had much larger pockets (and were also cheaper and easier to make).

Lt.Col. Henry Mucci of the 6th Ranger Bn. wore one of these 1st patterns during the campaign on Luzon Philippines. (the Great Raid).

CB

Thanks CB, you guys are really good and a great help!

CB

Hey mate,

I wish the 2nd patt were common,i need a mint/NOS size 44 or 46 to finish my hbt shirt collection off,I have mint 1st and 3rd[gas flap] in light shade and one in "Transitional 3rd patt,a forth patt is low in my prioritys....

Dave.