WWI Field Gear Re-Issued for 1942?

flyingrazor

craig_pickrall

This is one of the best examples I have ever seen of old gear being available for re-use. In the late 1970's a friend of mine bought a pallet load of packs at a surplus sale. These pack were left over from WW2. They were both model M1910 and model M1928 packs. At the end of the war they were cleaned and repaired and then re-dyed from OD3 to OD7. They had the tag stapeled on that stated they were combat servicable. I bought a selection of both models. One was dated 1918 so it was held 60 years before it was sold off as surplus.

post-5-1312657521.jpg

post-5-1312657531.jpg

post-5-1312657541.jpg

DesertRatTom
This may seem like a stupid question but I have never really had a straight forward answer...

It's March 1942... I have just been issued a standard rifleman's kit.

How likely is it that some of the kit i.e. cartridge belt, canteen, e-tools etc. would have been WWI re-issued equipment?

Or would it have been strictly '41 - '42 dated equipment?

I have seen plenty of period photos showing soldiers in Africa, Sicily etc. with what appears to be M1918 canteens,

but you can't know for sure what those actual dates are on the equipment in general.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

The QM Corps was still scrambling to get any and all gear out to troops that needed their issue kit and replacement kits out to the field. It is extremely likely you would have been issued WWI kit. My Dad commented on the quanties of WWI items the Navy was issuing to sailors in the Pacific up to almost the very end of the war. As it still happens to this day, when exact NEW replacements are needed, and the shevles are bare,,, thereis always something that can be modified to work.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
VolunteerArmoury

I'm curious if anyone has came across M1910 or M1928 packs being used in Korea. I have never thought to keep an eye out but I'd imagine they would.