D Rations

Fixbayonets!

Has anyone ever come across a July 1944 dated D-Ration? Somewhere or other I have two of these, bought way back in 1994. I've never known if they're originals or not, as they differ in font from other ones (I have 3 of the typical Hershey-made ones too). Will dig them out and supply photos.

Cheers,

Glen.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice photos of D-Ration bars. I did have one of those mentioned that had a different paper wrapper than the ones posted. It was a paper wrapper with an outer sleeve that had the labeling printed on it. I forget where I got it from, but I had it for years and it wasn't in the best shape, but it was all in one piece and it was still a very good example. I foolishly sold that and a large part of my collection years ago and I haven't seen another like it anywhere.

Now that I think about it, I do remember that the seller told me it came out of a box of 12 'cakes' like the gentleman posted here earlier. That jogged my memory.

• 2 months later...

I just picked up this interesting U.S. Army D ration variation, I have never seen one like this before. What looks like a giant D ration bar is actually a waxed box containing three four ounce D bars manufactured by Hershey. Below the large D ration is a standard U.S. Army four ounce D bar for size comparison. I am wondering how the 3 bars are packaged inside, since the outer box is waxed I am thinking in paper wrappers? Anyone know why they were packaged like this & how they were issued?

Rob

post-168-0-47314800-1423093940.jpg

Rob,

The D Rats are packed in paper wrappers inside.. That 3 Bar package was packed in the AAF zippered felt Banjo survival kits that were fastened to parachutes harnesses

I saw that one on Ebay but already have several.. Great to see the bars are not swelled and imploding on the inside

Kration

Curses! I can't believe I didn't see that thing get listed! Been looking for an original one for years.

As KRation said, they were intended to fit in the air crew survival packs. Per the 1942 standard, three bars in a package is considered Type II packaging while the single bar is considered Type I packaging. The standard says that the bars are parallel to each other with the middle bar inverted. It does not mention the inner packaging for the wax covered kraft box.

Nice find Rob!

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hi Dustin -

Your photo is the 'master carton' for the AAF survival D ration mentioned in post #33 and #35 (Type II packaging) above. I was trying to determine how the Type II bars were packaged in the master container. I'm thinking they must be layed front to back. Definitely a great reference photo!

Peter

• 7 years later...
On 10/22/2014 at 3:50 PM, Fixbayonets! said:

Update with a few more D-Rations & chocolate bars.

Rob

2 oz. U.S. Army Field Ration D bar made by the Hershey Chocolate Corporation. This bar came out of an early K ration.

post-168-0-43206300-1413985783.jpg

Hello 

i want make profesional reproduction of this 2oz chocolate and i need more photos..

can you please contact me on mail?

[email protected] 

thank you very much for answer

I just noticed that one very rare version of the D ration was omitted from this post. This would be the clear, plastic, packaged version of late WW2. LOL. Just kidding, but here is a D ration I made to show what the inside looks like. I also wrote an article about how I “Made this D ration perfectly clear” and here is the link to it.

Regards,

Bob

D Ration with corrected label.jpg

D Ration Side.jpg

D Ration Back.jpg