D Rations

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Here are four examples of WWII D Rations from my collection. Included is a U.S. Army Field Ration D manufactured by Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, Field Ration D in paper wrapper manufactured by Rockwood & Co., a very rare U.S. Marine Corps Field Ration D manufactured by Cook Chocolate Co. and an original opened 4 ounce D Ration bar.

Rob

post-168-1311343518.jpg

General Apathy
Here are four examples of WWII D Rations from my collection. Included is a U.S. Army Field Ration D manufactured by Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, Field Ration D in paper wrapper manufactured by Rockwood & Co., a very rare U.S. Marine Corps Field Ration D manufactured by Cook Chocolate Co. and an original opened 4 ounce D Ration bar.

Rob

Hi Rob, nice to see your variations and that they appear to be still in pretty good condition.

Just to let you know I have another variation different to yours made in 1941 by the Hershey co. the bar is wrapped in a buff colored paper with another sleeve across the centre with ingredients etc printed on.

I still have the outer carton as well it contained ' twelve four ounce cakes ' July 1941

ken ;)

Fixbayonets!
Hi Rob, nice to see your variations and that they appear to be still in pretty good condition.

Just to let you know I have another variation different to yours made in 1941 by the Hershey co. the bar is wrapped in a buff colored paper with another sleeve across the centre with ingredients etc printed on.

I still have the outer carton as well it contained ' twelve four ounce cakes ' July 1941

ken ;)

Hey Ken,

Would love to see photos of your D Ration & carton should you find time to post them.

Rob

General Apathy

post-344-1311457358.jpg

Hey Ken,

Would love to see photos of your D Ration & carton should you find time to post them.

Rob

Hi Rob, apologies only found the empty carton, I think I packed the D bar seperately in a plastic tray with lid to prevent possible insect infestation, this was a full carton when I acquired it but several of the bars had been burrowed into by small insects and so I only kept one of the perfect ones.

ken

Fixbayonets!
post-344-1311457358.jpg

Hi Rob, apologies only found the empty carton, I think I packed the D bar seperately in a plastic tray with lid to prevent possible insect infestation, this was a full carton when I acquired it but several of the bars had been burrowed into by small insects and so I only kept one of the perfect ones.

ken

Hi Ken,

Great D Ration carton & a very hard item to find! Thanks for posting!

Rob

Fixbayonets!
Super collection of D-Rations, I didn't know some many variations existed.

Thanks, I am sure there are more variations, if anyone has any please post!

Rob

General Apathy
Thanks, I am sure there are more variations, if anyone has any please post!

Rob

Hi Rob, I have just returned from taking garden rubbish to the village disposal area, I always take a look in the metal and the wood dumpsters as I have recovered several WWII items from them, namely a couple of C or K ration wooden crates, a German WWII ceramic sink, a stencilled wooden plank from a US TNT crate and other little odds and ends.

o.k. the boring part above finished now for the shocker, the part time worker at the village tip has just recovered a complete crate of unopened K rations still in the original crate. :crying: :crying: :crying: lucky him ;)

I didn't come away empty handed though, o.k. nothing WWII or exotic just a 1940s cigarette ash-tray stand in turned oak which will make a nice helmet stand. Must go and find a nice helmet to display on it now and take a couple of photographs and add to my Normandy reports topic later today. :lol:

ken

Fixbayonets!
Hi Rob, I have just returned from taking garden rubbish to the village disposal area, I always take a look in the metal and the wood dumpsters as I have recovered several WWII items from them, namely a couple of C or K ration wooden crates, a German WWII ceramic sink, a stencilled wooden plank from a US TNT crate and other little odds and ends.

o.k. the boring part above finished now for the shocker, the part time worker at the village tip has just recovered a complete crate of unopened K rations still in the original crate. :crying: :crying: :crying: lucky him ;)

I didn't come away empty handed though, o.k. nothing WWII or exotic just a 1940s cigarette ash-tray stand in turned oak which will make a nice helmet stand. Must go and find a nice helmet to display on it now and take a couple of photographs and add to my Normandy reports topic later today. :lol:

ken

Hi Ken,

An unopened crate of K rations? What a fantastic find to say the least!!! Was this found in the same garbage disposal area that you go to? Amazing!

Rob

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

An unopened crate of K rations? What a fantastic find to say the least!!! Was this found in the same garbage disposal area that you go to? Amazing!

Rob

Hi rob, no it wasn't found at the village tip, it was offered to him by someone who knew he had an interest in militaria when he enquired what do you want for it the reply was ' ah get me a bottle of wine '

A few weeks back someone said that their mother had an unopened tin of WWII biscuits and was I interested so obviously the reply was a positive, so far nothings turned up but it's a slow country way of life around here locally there's no rush for anything. :lol:

ken

• 1 year later...
Fixbayonets!

I picked up another D rat to add to the family, this is a 2 oz. D bar made by Rockwood & Co. These 2 oz. bars can be found packed inside some of the earlier K rations.

Rob

post-168-1345062485.jpg

• 2 years later...

Update with a few more D-Rations & chocolate bars.

Rob

2 oz. U.S. Army Field Ration D bar made by the Hershey Chocolate Corporation. This bar came out of an early K ration.

post-168-0-43206300-1413985783.jpg

4 oz. Chocolate Ration Bar wrapper made by Walter Baker & Company. This wrapper was saved by a POW and came out of a Red Cross parcel.

post-168-0-05440600-1413986281.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice find Tom, these USMC D rations are very rare to find in any condition. Outside of the one I own and yours I have only seen a few others in collections.

Rob