What is the use ???

solcarlus

Bonjour.

I want to know the value of passing on this tent. And what is this model of tent.

Merci. solcarlus.

post-410.jpg

Bonjour.

I want to know the value of passing on this tent. And what is this model of tent.

Merci. solcarlus.

post-410.jpg

He doesn't look a day over 15 to me.

Hi men :D

Thank you for the answers. But I do not know the answer to elbertson

En français dans le texte :D

Je vous remercie pour les réponses. Mais je ne saisi pas la réponse de elbertson

Regards solcarlus.

But I do not know the answer to elbertson

Not a problem, no response necessary. I was just voicing my opinion based on observation. I know if it was the case, it certainly wasn't an isolated one.

RustyCanteen

Since the question's already been answered with the link, I will just comment on the very nice early equipment in the photo..

That springfield doesn't get much earlier than that without being a M1903 Rod bayonet rifle.

RC

Since the question's already been answered with the link, I will just comment on the very nice early equipment in the photo..

That springfield doesn't get much earlier than that without being a M1903 Rod bayonet rifle.

RC

It would be a soldier from prior to 1910/1911, note that he is wearing the old campaign hat and not the M1911 Campaign hat and the old mills web gear, and not the M1910 gear. Question, what is a rod bayonet M1903 springfield rifle ?

He's wearing the M1910 tunic - you can just make out the grommet in the collar for the second collar disk.

Is that the infantry pup-tent that was short in the back and tall in the front?

New Romantic
It would be a soldier from prior to 1910/1911, note that he is wearing the old campaign hat and not the M1911 Campaign hat and the old mills web gear, and not the M1910 gear. Question, what is a rod bayonet M1903 springfield rifle ?

Though the soldier is using the M1903 equipment and has the older campaign hat, the key to dating this photo lays with the collar disks. As Cavdoc83 pointed out, the soldier wears the 1910 pattern blouse which used four collar disks. But we only see one collar disk on the right side, the grommet behind that is unused. Most likely this soldier is wearing only two collar disks which conforms to the 1912 specs.

Though the new 1912 pattern uniform was adopted in 1912 the older uniforms were still in use. At this time you even see 1899 pattern khaki blouses with two collar disks. Same with the M1903 gear, not all units received the M1910 equipment, especially the National Guard.

Thank you for the answers. But I do not know the answer to elbertson

En français dans le texte :D

Je vous remercie pour les réponses. Mais je ne saisi pas la réponse de elbertson

Regards solcarlus.

Phil,your translator is horrible!!!!! Elbertson a compris comme "value" l'age du soldat et il a dit qui le gamin peut pas avoir un jour en plus de 15 ans.

I think things are not clear. Solcarlus wanted simply to know the purpose of that double slot indicated by the red arrow. Obviously is made to receive some strap, but if there is some pic or drawing of the tent already assembled........

craig_pickrall

The 2nd post answered the question. There is a link attached. Follow that link and you will see the purpose of the slot.

RustyCanteen
Question, what is a rod bayonet M1903 springfield rifle ?

The first 80,000 or more M1903's made were very different from the M1903 we know and think of being used in WWI, etc.

Basically, the rear sight was not windage adjustable (in the same sense as the 1905 sight was) and was pretty much an M1902 Krag rear sight. The stock was longer and the upper band was also very different than the later M1903s. A small rod, about the diameter of a cleaning rod would slide in and out of the stock just under the barrel, that was not a cleaning rod but a bayonet. Theodore Roosevelt complained that he felt the bayonet too weak for practical use and in 1905 the front and rear sights were redesigned, along with a new upper barrel band designed to use a knife bayonet similar to the krag bayonet using a nearly identical mounting system.

Before the end of the year it was decided to rechamber the rifles from the orginal .30-1903 to the new .30-1906 cartridge. So almost all M1903's were modified and upgraded from about 1907-1910.

The bayonet scabbard in the photo is of the second pattern often referred to as the "M1907" and manufactured by RIA in 1907. I agree with "NewRomantic" about the equipment being used later. Many were later converted to the M1905/10 or M1907/10 by adding a leather collar with a belt hook around the metal part of the scabbard and grinding off the equipment hanger. Some of these conversions were still in use during WWII.

The rifle in the photo dates to around 1906-1908 from what I can see.

RC

Phil,your translator is horrible!!!!! Elbertson a compris comme "value" l'age du soldat et il a dit qui le gamin peut pas avoir un jour en plus de 15 ans.

au contraire, je voulais simplement commenter sur l'âge du soldat hors de son contexte, et nous excusons pour toute confusion

au contraire, je voulais simplement commenter sur l'âge du soldat hors de son contexte, et nous excusons pour toute confusion

No problem, Solcarlus has a strong sense of humor. You have to see him on our french forums.

Here is a link to a description of the M1903 Rod Bayonet rifle. Years ago I had serial Number 32 in my hands, was sent ot the Governor of Wyoming in 1904 if memory serves me right. It was a beautiful rifle in fantastic condition.

Rod Bayonet M1903

The rifle in the picture would fit in the range of 1905 to 1909 due to the lack of the hand guard swell sighting clearance notch. That is an incredibly rare gun in today market. An awesome photo graph illustrating some rare and unusual equipment.

Cheers

RustyCanteen
Here is a link to a description of the M1903 Rod Bayonet rifle. Years ago I had serial Number 32 in my hands, was sent ot the Governor of Wyoming in 1904 if memory serves me right. It was a beautiful rifle in fantastic condition.

Rod Bayonet M1903

The rifle in the picture would fit in the range of 1905 to 1909 due to the lack of the hand guard swell sighting clearance notch. That is an incredibly rare gun in today market. An awesome photo graph illustrating some rare and unusual equipment.

Cheers

Good link Alonzo,

It's very hard to describe if people aren't already familiar with the design. Was that the one with the broken sight spring or am I thinking of the Krag?

Sure wish we could see if it had the stock bolt or not, but the bolt is blocking that view.

RC

Good link Alonzo,

It's very hard to describe if people aren't already familiar with the design. Was that the one with the broken sight spring or am I thinking of the Krag?

Sure wish we could see if it had the stock bolt or not, but the bolt is blocking that view.

RC

I think you are right...he doesn't have it anymore and I was surprised to hear he sold it. I always like to see the Krag Bowie bayonets.

The rack of '03 rifles is also impressive, I recall the same type rifle in the picture is also in the rack, with my finger prints all over it!!!!!! :lol:

Cheers