Identify these bags?

pathfinder44

pathfinder44
post-7685-1311264128.jpgpost-7685-1311264148.jpgCan anyone id these two? First is marked on bottom "NLN6262A". Second is marked (faintly) "Tool Roll M6(?). Maker mark on shoulder strap dated 45.

post-7685-1311264128.jpgpost-7685-1311264148.jpgCan anyone id these two? First is marked on bottom "NLN6262A". Second is marked (faintly) "Tool Roll M6(?). Maker mark on shoulder strap dated 45.

First one looks like a helmet bag for a pilot or aircrew member. The second I don't have a clue...sorry.

This may be a long shot, and I don't know how to tie the details together, but...

With your first bag, NLN6262A grabbed my attention because it looks like a Motorola (land mobile radio) part number. However I can find no cross-reference.

In addition, KEU946 looks like a radio callsign. I don't know what service or what year.

BT-16 also sound like it could be nomenclature for some part of a radio or radio battery.

pathfinder44

Thanks for reply. The BT-16 bag contains two pockets inside at top. They have two snaps and inside each are five holders that look like large shotgun shell straps. ???

craig_pickrall

I don't really know anything about these bags but when you mentioned the shotgun shell type slots the thought popped in my head that they may be for film canisters. This may be an aircraft camera bag.

General Apathy
when you mentioned the shotgun shell type slots the thought popped in my head that they may be for film canisters.

This may be an aircraft camera bag.

when you mentioned the shotgun shell type slots the thought popped in my head that they may be for flare cartridges.

Or maybe even an aircraft flare pistol bag :think: :lol:

lewis

General Apathy
post-7685-1311264148.jpg

Second is marked (faintly) "Tool Roll M6(?). Maker mark on shoulder strap dated 45.

I have to say that this looks like a frankenstein gathering of unsold tool rolls cobbled together by a surplus dealer for sale to post war boy scout troops, or camping. It appears to have loops and pockets here and there without sense or reason but would look funky to a twelve year old boy scout.

lewis

• 2 years later...
nagmashdriver

Hey guys, newbie member pitching in my two shekels, as it were.

I just picked up the NLN bag at a local thrift store and promptly started to research it on the web. Came up with precious little:

*NLN is an acronym which stands for "Naval Logistics Network", which certainly sounds logical enough

*NLN6262A is listed as "Case, Receiver-Transmitter"

I just looked through "USN Naval Aviation Flying Clothing and Gear", volume II of the excellent "US Navy Uniforms in WWII Series" by Jeff Warner and came up with bupkis. My best SWAG: with the horsehair stuffing, it is definitely a satchel for some sensitive radio/photographic/electronic gear which was regularly removed from the plane after flight.

Since it doesn't appear in Jeff Warner's very comprehensive book, I must assume that it is post-war. If I should find out anything, I'll post it here.