M1907 Sling Markings

ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage

The M1907 sling consisted of a long strap and a short strap which were connected by a 'D' ring.

My question: were both straps stamped with a date and maker, or just one strap? If only one was marked: was it the long or the short strap?

Thanks in advance

post-45626-1311198736.png

RustyCanteen

Long strap only from all that I have seen. It's not really a "D" ring in the traditional sense, but a rectangular ring.

Be aware that there were many commercial designs based on the M1907s that look similar, but the big giveaways are normally the thinner brass used on the hooks and the fact that the hooks are held on by only two rivets instead of three. Of course during WWII the brass hooks were changed to steel.

In many cases you cannot see markings on well used slings.

RC

I've had M1907 slings with markings on both long and short, short only, and long only. Sometimes the markings are different manufacturers; in the service, it didn't matter as long as you had two functional pieces. As a general rule, most of the double marked ones seem to come from WWI, while most of the single marked ones (generally on the long piece) come from WWII.

RustyCanteen may be right, but if you look at enough original slings you will see markings on either, and some times both.

ThompsonSavage
Sometimes the markings are different manufacturers

So is it possible to have a sling with 2 different colours? Even if the two parts were made by the same manufacturer...

Sounds like you have one that has been pieced togtether at some point?

I've seen original looking slings with two different manufacture stamps. Wear was equal, you could tell they had been together for a long time. Maybe a field repair.

RustyCanteen
RustyCanteen may be right, but if you look at enough original slings you will see markings on either, and some times both.

Right, I should have specified that most of the WWII production could be different. For some reason I thought the question was about the early M1907 slings from pre WWI.

RC