PNWHG 2011

Apache26

This last week the PNWHG 1st 'CAV unit hosted its annual Vietnam tactical event. Although turnout wasn't what we hoped for, it was a big event nonetheless with the advent of a documentary film crew as well as the active participation of an ARVN veteran and a former enlisted veteran of D/2-5 CAV who serves as our inspiration and advisor.

The tactical started Friday afternoon and ran through Sunday afternoon. It rained the whole weekend, and I am very proud of my boys for sticking with it. Between the rain and guard duty, no one got more than 4 hours total sleep each night. Nevertheless, they did a J-O-B on our VC opposition.

More photos to follow.

post-48564-1311115089.jpg

Many thanks! The WAR necklace is an original.

CHASE - looking at your profile I see you were in the First Team in OIF II. What unit?

I was in 2-7 'CAV out of Taji.

CHASEUSA11B
Many thanks! The WAR necklace is an original.

CHASE - looking at your profile I see you were in the First Team in OIF II. What unit?

I was in 2-7 'CAV out of Taji.

I was with 1-9 Cav in Baghdad, thanks for asking.

The necklace is awesome, I've been trying to find one (original or repro) for a while but no luck.

CHASE - I had some friends in 1-9, but most of them went with the detached company that was outside of Ramadi in 2003-04. I was almost assigned to 1-9 but they didn't need any rifle platoon leaders when I got there. It's too bad. I would have preferred LTC MacDonald over Jim Rainey any day.

You had a helluva time on Haifa.

Do you reenact?

CHASEUSA11B
CHASE - I had some friends in 1-9, but most of them went with the detached company that was outside of Ramadi in 2003-04. I was almost assigned to 1-9 but they didn't need any rifle platoon leaders when I got there. It's too bad. I would have preferred LTC MacDonald over Jim Rainey any day.

You had a helluva time on Haifa.

Do you reenact?

You can't beat the history of the 7th but I did love being a Headhunter. Its too bad you didn't make it to 1-9, LTC MacDonald was a hell of a leader and an awesome man.

I didn't know too many of the guys from Bravo company that were detached from us, but a few of them were reassigned to us when we redeployed and they were all good guys. We had some outstanding platoon leaders in 1-9, and I'm sure it was the same with you. I was pleasently surprised that most of the Lt.s I served with in my short Army career didn't live up to the negative stereotype.

As for reenacting, I haven't tried it yet- I'm only a collector. I respect what you guys do but for now i'm done with sweating and living in holes, I'll just sit back and check out the pictures :thumbsup:

post-6201-1311201023.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics out of the lot. I avoided posting this one earlier because it shows an ARVN ruck. We don't allow our men to use ARVN rucks for their impressions, and I didn't want to leave the impression that we did. The ruck was being used by one of our documentary film crew whom we gave more leeway as "civilian journalists" in terms of gear.

30mtugo.jpg

Unit supply issue. For new reenactors who have no gear, we provide a full setup, including lightweight ruck, weapon, uniform, boots and helmet.

jj2qhk.jpg

cow1y.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here are some more photos. These are stills from the documentary footage. More will come in slowly as the film crew do as they promised and get us more pics from the bush...

972og5.jpg

rh95qv.jpg

jpaibq.jpg

2lw24nt.jpg

Please excuse the hop fields in the background. We spent most of the weekend in deep brush along a river, but we still navigated our way to the objectives!

jjy9sp.jpg