WWI Dallas O observer half wing

pfrost

A new baby.

These 1/2 wing Dallas style observer wings with the "O" are a bit harder to find, than the full size Dallas wings and the 1/2 wings with the shield, IMHO.

It still has about 50% or so of its original silver frosted finish. The felt is actually a woven material (with a small moth nip under the O(--damn those moths!) that has bleached out to a dark maroonish shade (it would originally have been black). The scan doesnt really capture the color well. The back is actually a bit less fadded than the front. The material is very tightly sewn on the frame and it has a strip of leather that likely helped protect the uniform and the seams of the wing. Finally, it has a heavy drop in catch that you typically see with this type of wing.

What is interesting is that the backing plate clearly was originally cut for the shield, not the "O". I guess when they (likely this was made by BB&B) started making this second pattern observer wing, they used the old stock and simply added an "O" in lieu of a shield.

Once you have had a chance to handle a few of these Dallas wings, it is hard to be fooled by the fakes. They simply have a have a "feel" to them that is hard for the repo-goons to capture.

Patrick

post-1519-1193851697.jpg

Patrick,

I think you better send it to me for safe keeping all those fires down south... Here we only have a few quakes.... NICE WING!

Are the sterling parts attached through unseen holes to a hidden backing plate or... I guess my question is how is this wing put together?

Regards,

John - and THANKS for POSTING!

Patrick,

Thanks for posting these clear pictures of this wonderful wing!

I think, based on the feathers cut with a jewelers saw, and the extra "beads" at the end of the wing, that these are one of the patterns made by Eisenstadt of St Louis.

I agree too that there is nothing better than handling these to learn the difference between the real ones and the re-pops, but beautiful clear photos like you have posted will go a long way towards keeping the newer collectors from getting "taken" by the junk out there.

Thanks again for sharing, and if all goes well, I will have a new wing next week to share as well!

Best wishes.

Chris

Patrick,

Thanks for posting these clear pictures of this wonderful wing!

I think, based on the feathers cut with a jewelers saw, and the extra "beads" at the end of the wing, that these are one of the patterns made by Eisenstadt of St Louis.

I agree too that there is nothing better than handling these to learn the difference between the real ones and the re-pops, but beautiful clear photos like you have posted will go a long way towards keeping the newer collectors from getting "taken" by the junk out there.

Thanks again for sharing, and if all goes well, I will have a new wing next week to share as well!

Best wishes.

Chris

Screw the newer collectors! They should learn about wings the same way we had to learn about sex...on the streets and in dubious and unhealthy circumstances....just kidding! Its been a long day and the holloween candy sugar rush is begining to kick in...

You are correct, a number of companies, including Eisenstadt made these type of wings. I dont know for which company made these, but in one of the wing reference books, there is a BB&B catalog showing a near identicle wing, so I think these are he BB&B myself.

As to how these are made, I have another Dallas style wing that has been damaged and had some lackluster and haphazard attempt to repair. I posted this wing some time ago on WAF forum and some people thought it was a fake. I am sure it isnt, but one evening did take it apart. Once I had it apart, I came to the horrible conclusion that not only was the wing perfectly legit but now I had a disassembled wing that I had to put back AND avoid damage. I got it back together, but learned a lesson. If you thing its real and like it, then don't screw with it!

The Dallas wing is mounted on a brass frame. The individual parts of the wing are rather thin silver stamped out in the cliche' style (with the pattern on front and back. A silver U-shaped staple is attached to the frame and the bits that sit up are pushed through holes in the brass frame and cinched tightly over. The hardware is added to the back, and then a fine wool material (not a felt! like you would find on a RAF wing or patch, but a woven material) is pulled VERY tight over the frame and sewn down. In this wing, a bit of thin but heavy crosshatched leather is glued under the pin.

post-1519-1193881728.jpg

Screw the newer collectors! They should learn about wings the same way we had to learn about sex...on the streets and in dubious and unhealthy circumstances....

Yeah, I have 13 years in Korea... Ahhhh, the unhealthy things I learned... But I digress.

Cheers, and thanks again for sharing.

Chris