21st Infantry Division / 21st Airborne Division

21stInfDiv.jpg

NAME:

World War I Without "Airborne" Tab: Twenty-First Infantry Division / 21st Division

Cloud Patch With "Airborne" Tab: Twenty-First Airborne Division / 21st Airborne

NICKNAME:

None

BATTLE HONORS:

None reported

ACTIVATED:

1918 [infantry]

1943 [Airborne]

DEACTIVATED:

1919 [infantry]

1944 [Airborne]

PATCH HISTORY:

Army records indicate that there was no official patch for this division.

HISTORY:

World War I

21st Infantry Division

The 21st Division underwent training at Camp Sheridan, Nebraska during 1918, and was still in the process of formation when the war ended. Shortly afterwards the unit was deactivated.

World War II

21st Airborne Division

This division was a ghost division during World War II.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Where did the WW1 information come from? The Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, Zone of the Interior, Volume 3 Part 2, shows no 21st Division in existence in WW1 and I have never seen any shoulder sleeve insignia ascribed to a 21st Division in WW1. The WW1 division numbers end at "20" and pick up again at "94." The only installations listed called "Sheridan" are Ft. Sheridan in Illinois and Camp Sheridan in Alabama. The Army Lineage Series volume, Maneuver and Firepower, The Evolution of Divisions and Seperate Brigades, also shows no 21st Division in WW1.

• 3 years later...

My Grandfather was in the 21st as a machine gunner during WW1 at Camp Grant, yet there are no references for the 21st at Camp Grant!

Not a unit called 21st Division of any type. It has never existed in the US Army as an actual unit, only as a WW2 "ghost" organization. Maybe some other unit numbered 21. The Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, Zone of the Interior, Volume 3 Part 2 shows that the only unit numbered "21" that was at Camp Grant in WW1 was the 21st Engineer Regiment.

• 9 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.