F-101 pilot certificate

walt323

post-3685-1310937603.jpg

Anyone ever see one of these? I was trying to figure out if they were given to all pilots who qualified in the F-101 or just some of the earlier ones.

Normally these certicates were given to the first pilots/crews. This one seems to be given only to the first 101 Voodoo pilots. See the top of the certificate. It's a great doc. More interesting if you know the personal history of the owner.

Franck

Cobrahistorian

Looks like you've got Voodoo pilot #35's certificate. Great piece of history there!

Thanks for the reply. I have quite a few other items from this pilots estate. He set the world speed record in 1957 in the F-101 in Operation Firewall. Here is a video clip on youtube of it.

I will post some more pics when I can get my scanner running.

My Father flew the F-101 during the early 1960’s, 437th FIS, 414th FG, out of Oxnard AFB. This is the first certificate I have seen and I’m sure that if my Dad would have been issued one he would have kept it. By the looks of your post, it appears that McDonnell Aircraft Corporation issued the certificate. Of note, 1955 is a real early date in the life of the Voodoo; its first flight was on September 29, 1954.

Cobrahistorian

It looks like these certificates were only issued to the first 101 Voodoo drivers.

post-3685-1311723559.jpg

This F-80 transition certificate was one of the more interesting papers I found. It is signed by Col. Robert Scott .

• 2 weeks later...
post-3685-1312653583.jpg Here is a photo of the Major after his record breaking flight. Note the DFC pinned on the jacket.

really like the big 27th Fighter-Bomber Wing / 27th Tactical Fighter Wing Patch on the flight jacket. The 27th flew F-101's from 1957 to 1958 out of Bergstrom AFB, TX

Mark

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
cagedfalcon

Nice pick up.

Still have a F101 on static display in Rogers AR airport Posted Image

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk