U.S. Navy Combat Salvage Diver HCU-1 - Vietnam

River Patrol

River Patrol

One of the most extensive groupings I've ever had from any one veteran (sorry for poor pics - been busy). It just so happens to be a U.S. Navy Diver for Harbor Clearance Unit One. He was a Lt.(jg) later promoted to Lt. He was also an Advisor for the Vietnamese LDNN. All of the dive gear is non-magnetic and coated black, which is typical for combat/salvage divers. Not shown in the pictures are a set of dress Blues, a box full of paperwork and souvenirs, and his non-magnetic dive tank. All direct from the veteran.

I was just at the UDT/SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce, and most of what I have here rivals their display of Vietnam era dive gear, so I feel lucky today!

HCU1_c.jpg

Salvage Sailor

This brings back memories, especially the salvage manuals.

One of the most extensive groupings I've ever had from any one veteran (sorry for poor pics - been busy). It just so happens to be a U.S. Navy Diver for Harbor Clearance Unit One. He was a Lt.(jg) later promoted to Lt. He was also an Advisor for the Vietnamese LDNN. All of the dive gear is non-magnetic and coated black, which is typical for combat/salvage divers. Not shown in the pictures are a set of dress Blues, a box full of paperwork and souvenirs, and his non-magnetic dive tank. All direct from the veteran.

I was just at the UDT/SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce, and most of what I have here rivals their display of Vietnam era dive gear, so I feel lucky today!

Impressive!

From the looks of the manifold/valve assembly, he used a dual tank set-up. As I read your description, you have a single, non-magnetic tank from the vet? There should be another one to complete this fantastic group.

River Patrol

There is a single and a double valve assembly, but there was only one tank. And it is cumbersome since it's the round bottom variety. The log book has extensive descriptions of all the boats and missions completed by his group, with plenty of hand drawings to describe each mission.

The tube next to the riker mount is the reminants of the tail post of an rpg 7 that hit one of the boats.....some really cool stuff here. HCU-1 in Vietnam is taking a new priority for me.

Really nice grouping indeed! I'm particularly attracted by Navy divers (Seals/UDT/EOD,...). Could you show us closers views of the regulator, mask, depth gauge and manyfold ? About the fins are they made by US Divers or other brand?

Corpsmancollector

Really nice grouping Steve, unique to say the least. I don't think I've ever seen so much Vietnam era dive gear. Were there any blades/knives included in the grouping? I'm hoping to pay a visit to the SEAL museum next summer.

Thanks for posting, great stuff!

Will

Hey Guys !

I have a Purple Heart privately engraved to a sailor who served in Vietnam at Cat Lo with an IUWG unit - Inshore Undersea Warfare Group.

Any idea on what these fellas did !?!

Thanks !

Vic

River Patrol

I'll try to get the requested pics up here sometime this week.

Could you tell me serial number of your regulator too? About the swim suit, it appears around 1972/73. This could give you an idea of the period's grouping. But maybe you've already the info?

• 2 years later...
River Patrol

Thanks for the comments, here's his advisor hanger:

1_1a.jpg

• 1 year later...

I agree bish.....I just need a mannequin that can hold it all up......I have his "air" tank too which of course is like an anchor.

I agree bish.....I just need a mannequin that can hold it all up......I have his "air" tank too which of course is like an anchor.

yeh...I can see a fibreglass mannequin crumbling...