USS.JENKINS......plaque

shrapnel

Hi Guys, being new to this forum,and an ex squaddie,my knowledge of ships can be written on a stamp!

Sometime ago a plaque was given to me its approx 18"x18" aluminium type casting screwed through onto a wooden base. Its shield like in shape and has a diagonal black strip which has written on it....U.S.S. Jenkins over the top of the plate is written.....DDE-447.

The top left is a circular disk with what looks like a tigers head....and in the opposite corner another disk with what looks like a desert island with the number 25.

Can anybody shed any light on this???

I do know the Jenkins was a destroyer in ww2.......and was there one produced in the 50,s regards colin

Hi Guys, being new to this forum,and an ex squaddie,my knowledge of ships can be written on a stamp!

Sometime ago a plaque was given to me its approx 18"x18" aluminium type casting screwed through onto a wooden base. Its shield like in shape and has a diagonal black strip which has written on it....U.S.S. Jenkins over the top of the plate is written.....DDE-447.

The top left is a circular disk with what looks like a tigers head....and in the opposite corner another disk with what looks like a desert island with the number 25.

Can anybody shed any light on this???

I do know the Jenkins was a destroyer in ww2.......and was there one produced in the 50,s regards colin

Here's everything you need to know. http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/447.htm She served from '44-'68. The palm trees and "25" were the insignia of DESRON 25 (Destroyed Squadron 25). Enjoy

Steve Hesson

Here's everything you need to know. http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/447.htm She served from '44-'68. The palm trees and "25" were the insignia of DESRON 25 (Destroyed Squadron 25). Enjoy

Steve Hesson

Thanks a lot Steve, that clears a lot . The only thing ive got to clear up now is......how the hell it came into my hands.

One story is some royal marines snuck onboard an stole it ??? ... who knows. again ,much abliged steve

regards col