17th AIRBORNE ITEM

cpatrick

This is kind of a horror story, just in time for Holloween. A few weeks ago I received a call from a man right here in town who said that he had a WWII item that he wished to sell me. So, excited as a hillbilly at a family reunion I set down the TV remote, accused my wife of losing the keys again, and drove over there - not knowing what I was going to find. An M1? A German helmet? A German dagger? Maybe just a well used K-Ration box... Whatever the case, I would be happy.

Well, after a five minute drive across town, and $30 in gas later, I arrived at the pleasant home of a charming fellow of the portly type, who clearly by his thinning hairs and docker pants was of the baby-boomer variety. With a quick exchange of good tidings, he went on to tell me that his uncle was an airborne soldier. Still living, he is in a retirement home. He shows me this homefront piece, asking what I would give for it. I said, how about $50?

He gladly accepted the offer, but asked me to come back in a week. He said that he would have a surprise for me. I thought to myself, "Oh boy, this might be it!" Well, I went back a few days ago, and this is what he handed me. The guy had this mounted, permanantly! I thought to myself, "Oh no! What did this guy do"? Of course, he was happy as a clam, he thought that it looked marvelous. I guess it looks nice, but this is a definate no-no.

So here you have it. I suppose worse has happened to military relics. dunno.gif

So, what exactly do we call this???

I love the boullion!

Chris

post-548-1193781251.jpg