Museums, Battlefields and Monuments

gwb123

As you can see, we have a new Forum focused on Museums, Battlefields, Monuments, Memorials and Military Cemetaries.

A number of our members have shared photos and reviews of their travels to various museums and historic sites. These have been scattered among many of our subforums. Our goal is to now give these a central location so they can be more easily located and referred to.

If you open one of these threads, you will see a banner across the top asking for museum information. This is so these can be more easily found by our search function.

If you have previously posted a related thread and would like it moved to this new forum, please let me know.

Feel free to start posting and enjoy!

I noticed this last night. Great idea for a forum, now to load it!? :unsure:

It's up and running... I pulled over about 135 previous threads and you can now find them here.

In case anyone asks...

Some of these threads called for a decision, as the term "Museum" covers a lot of ground.

For example, we have a number of ships dedicated as museums. If the thread was soley on one ship I left it under "Military Ships and Vessels".

We had other threads that were originally posted under Military Vehicles and Military Aircraft & Aviation. And they arguably were fine were they were at.

But part of the purpose of this forum is to help people who are travelling and touring, and this seemed to be a good way to spur visits.

The other rationale was that many of these vehicle and aircraft threads also had other artifacts, such as uniforms, insignia, etc. By being in the Museum Forum,

hopefully readers will understand there is a wider variety of items to be seen.

Suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

RustyCanteen

Gil you posted right after I did, I do have a question.

Why not include the ship threads? It would be easy reference if someone wanted to visit. A thread with multiple ships is a lot to wade through to find anything on one specific museum vessel.

RC

Gil you posted right after I did, I do have a question.

Why not include the ship threads? It would be easy reference if someone wanted to visit. A thread with multiple ships is a lot to wade through to find anything on one specific museum vessel.

RC

Let me hold that thought for next weekend. I didn't want to get the ship enthusiasts upset by removing threads on museum vessels. But maybe that is not the case. And thanks for the above suggestion. That one is right up the road from me and I need to make time to go visit!