ERDL pattern start date?

Norton

I have a question about ERDL issued items. I read it was developed in 1948, so what was the first item officialy issued to any US personel. Also with that question asked does anyone know what the last dated item issued in Duck Hunter was? The reason I ask is I thought the poncho liner was issued in Duck Hunter for a short period. Was this 62/63' ?

Did they indeed make and issue a poncho liner in Duck Hunter? Or was this just a over the counter Ranger Joe Army Surplus item?

Thank you

Norton

ERDL was first used in early 1967. We have a thread on early camo poncho liners at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=98863 and it mentions a duck hunter liner, but I don't know that anyone has verified that 100%. It's also mentioned in http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=73193 and possibly other threads as well.

ERDL was first used in early 1967. We have a thread on early camo poncho liners at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=98863 and it mentions a duck hunter liner, but I don't know that anyone has verified that 100%. It's also mentioned in http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=73193 and possibly other threads as well.

In shelby stanton's uniforms of the vietnam war on page 183, there is a photo of a GI getting into a ad hoc poncho/poncho liner sleeping bag, the liner is a early camo one. The weapon carried by this man is a M2 carbine,but its propted up against a light weight rucksack, so its diffecult to say when the photo was taken.Also in the osprey book on SF 1950-to present by rottmann,has a photo from 1965 of green berets at a table display of gear, a early type liner is to be seen here folded up nice and neat.

Thanks for the great info on threads about liners. So it would be a fair guess to sat 1964/65 for a US issued Duck hunter item other than a parachute canopy. So the ARVNs had US supplied ERDL in 64/65 period, This is interesting.

vintageproductions

They were issued as an experimental garment only, and I believe they were around 1967

Wasn't most Duck Hunter purchased or "acquired"? My friends Dad was an advisor and he said he was never issued any Duck Hunter clothing. He purchased it from the PX or guys had it sent from home.

bravo_2_zero

Was/is ERDL the name of the print everyone wore in Vietnam or was this name given to the programme that then resulted in mass issue of a Camo print during the war and beyond ?

I know the programme started in 1948 with captured stocks of german Camo clothing and namely the print that was used by the Swiss post was , lieberstand or something as my german isn't that good. The print was a type of tiger print with long black stripes and long red stripes with woodland colours thrown in. I have then seen large spotty shaped camo clothing what looks mid 50's period which was like a duck hunter but not. Then there was a photo of early 60's SF guys in hooded duck hunters sporting m16's. Then a marine in ERDL as we now know but the uniforms cut was different but print was the Nam period, this photo is on here somewhere. Then we have the ERDL with different base colours, highland and lowland both with the same stock numbers. We then have a crazy ERDL print overprinted with a crude tiger print in some crazy experiment , then RDF which was left over Nam stock then NATO colours as it got used up.

Was/is ERDL the name of the print everyone wore in Vietnam or was this name given to the programme that then resulted in mass issue of a Camo print during the war and beyond ?

I know the programme started in 1948 with captured stocks of german Camo clothing and namely the print that was used by the Swiss post was , lieberstand or something as my german isn't that good. The print was a type of tiger print with long black stripes and long red stripes with woodland colours thrown in. I have then seen large spotty shaped camo clothing what looks mid 50's period which was like a duck hunter but not. Then there was a photo of early 60's SF guys in hooded duck hunters sporting m16's. Then a marine in ERDL as we now know but the uniforms cut was different but print was the Nam period, this photo is on here somewhere. Then we have the ERDL with different base colours, highland and lowland both with the same stock numbers. We then have a crazy ERDL print overprinted with a crude tiger print in some crazy experiment , then RDF which was left over Nam stock then NATO colours as it got used up.

ERDL = Engineer Research and Development Laboratory, a developing and testing program that I'm sure was involved in more than one pattern.

When I was in the Army, what is commonly refered to as ERDL now was what we called leaf pattern camo, despite it not really looking much like leaves at all. I never once heard the term ERDL applied to it while I was in the service.

bravo_2_zero
ERDL = Engineer Research and Development Laboratory, a developing and testing program that I'm sure was involved in more than one pattern.

When I was in the Army, what is commonly refered to as ERDL now was what we called leaf pattern camo, despite it not really looking much like leaves at all. I never once heard the term ERDL applied to it while I was in the service.

I think the leaf was a referal to the way the print was designed. The British DPM was based on a reed design, lots of narrow shapes for use in grass and small European woodlands. I'm guessing ERDL or leaf was inspired by operating in jungle areas where leafs were the natural vegetation. The US I guess then found operations happening in grassland areas where they introduced ERDL with a different base shade.

I heard it called 'Jungle' in 80/81.

The reason I asked about beginings of the ERDL issue is I read it started development in 48' and wondered about the overlap in other patterns being issued. The Army issued a few poncho lines in Duck/spot so it was still beng issued in some rare instances At the same time we had Wine Leaf steel pot covers and shelter halfs..

Bravo-2-zero I wondered what was the insperation for ERDL jungle/woodland also. In 1948 the US could look at the British Dennison type camo, many German patterns and it's own Pacific camoflage. I don't think it really looks like anything else. Even that Swiss/German pattern. We did the research and adopted the very detailed Wine Leaf pattern. I would dare to say that is the first camoflage that is a true detailed copy of a real leaf, right down to having veins and stems. Nobody went down that road until super detailed hunting camoflage came out in the latter 1980s. The after being in Vietnam until at least 1966 the ERDL is chosen over Wine Leaf Mitchell, Duck Hunter and Tiger Stripe as a official issue.

All interesting to me

norton .

look at the German Palm pattern one that copied shapes directly from nature.

German research was light years ahead in both inks and patterns than anyone at the end of WW2 .

ERDL was a result of logical progression.

owen