AN/PRC 113 radio - Anyone know anything?

joefriday22

Thank you. I found that right after I posted. Any idea of the value? Are they still in use? Ok to possess?

Rob

No idea, but if you call those folks they might be able to provide answers.

joefriday22
The Air Force is the primary user of these radios, UHF radio as you can tell. Used a lot by FACs.

Thank you. Do you think it's OK to have this thing? Specs say UHF/VHF.

Rob

Ya, I don't see it being anymore dangerous to have than any other radio. The only thing I will say is that it is primary a tactical radio used for talking to military aircraft, but it also can be used on civilian aircraft, so be careful which frequency you "play with" Need to stay off the emergency frequencies and most definitely stay off VHF from around 118 to 130 bands, those will interfere with civilian traffic and ATC.

As for value, if its operational, it would have value to someone in the aviation community, I would like to have it just because we can never seem to talk to our ground folks and this radio would make it nice, but as far as monetary value, I don't have a clue.

joefriday22

Thank you very much. I just wanted to make sure that it was legal to have. It is new with a bunch of wires to attach to various pieces of equipment (seen in picture 1) . There is a packing label with it showing that it was inspected and working properly in 1991, signed by a captain. The cost listed on the paperwork is $7,005.00. I have no batteries for it so I won't be "playing" with it.

They don't issue something like this for you to communicate with ground forces?? That's crazy!

Thanks again,

Rob

Wow, 20 years old, thinking it would need a good TI anyway. I have always seen these radios hooked directly up to vehicle power, only ever seen one in a field pack, so they can be used either way. If you were wanting to ever make up a JTAC display, this would be one of the primary pieces you would need. Did it come with the carry pack for it?