A-14 oxygen mask used or unused??

wwIIfighterpilots

wwIIfighterpilots

Forgive me if I have posted this in wrong spot, this appears to be best place but I am new here.

Could I get any opinions on if this A-14 oxygen mask is unused or could have been used in WWII? It has an early 1944 date on it, just FYI.

I assume it is unused since there's no microphone inside and there's no hole indicating the cord was ever there. I realize throat mikes were used at times in the European theatre but my understanding is they were not used alone, they were used at same time as the mike inside the oxygen mask.

So do you guys agree this is unused or is the lack of microphone not enough to make that judgment?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.

Mike

post-49659-1310718173.jpg

wwIIfighterpilots

Hi,

Thank you Johan, but that's not my question. I know they were used extensively. But what I am asking about is mine specifically, if the lack of a microphone and cord hole mean it was unused.

Seems to me if it was used, either those items would still be in it OR there would have been a hole made where the cord used to be.

See in the photo you posted, you can see the microphone cord running alongside the oxygen hose.

I am just trying to determine if mine may have been worn, or clearly wasn't. If anyone sees any clues in my photos.

Thanks.

Mike

Johan Willaert

Ah OK, I see now...

Well I've got one just like yours with no microphone ever having been fitted and still in the original box....

I assume it was not actually worn although the box does have a name of the GI it was issued to...

Johan

I think it may have been used. I also have an A-14 mask in about the same condition as yours. I believe that mine was used even though it doesn't have the mic in the mask. I think they may have just been using the throat mics alone. Just my 2 cents.

I would not be suprised if they used these with a throat mike as well. Sometimes the masks have a numbered metal tag, which would match the one on the helmet. Any chance yours is tagged?