Brig's USMC Photo Archive

Brig

Once again great pics!

#169 looks like a fire drill.

I was thinking fire fighting, with the hose...but it seemed too many Marines seemed to be hanging around. A drill would explain that, didn't consider that option

teufelhunde.ret

I was thinking fire fighting, with the hose...but it seemed too many Marines seemed to be hanging around. A drill would explain that, didn't consider that option

Can you tell for sure it's a hose, on the extreme left there is a group of Naval officer walking out of view...???

Can you tell for sure it's a hose, on the extreme left there is a group of Naval officer walking out of view...???

There's no visible nozzles, but I can't imagine what else it would be

teufelhunde.ret

There's no visible nozzles, but I can't imagine what else it would be

Agree, got to be a fire drill. Those Marines are carrying a ladder... Look at the length and the number of Marines to carry it.

From the same small WWI group, 3 Marines, one on far right appears to be wearing 5th Brigade patch

03-17-2014 06;17;19PM.jpg

Wonder who the sand-crab is next to the Marine Officer?

While reassembling this into an album (acid free page protectors, acid free card stock and photo corner tabs) I saw some writing on the back of one of the Navy inspection photos. It was Admiral Yarnell, summer of 1939

vietvet7071

Fantastic photos. There is a lot of history recorded in them. Thanks for showing them and saving them for posterity.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a couple photos of Winston Churchill's inspection of the 6th Marines in Iceland. My guess is that these photos were taken for official purposes and offered to the Marines as keep sakes as you often see in China Marine and WWII albums, even though there are no markings on the rear and the original owner wrote on these. These came from the estate of a Marine with G/2/6 who was in Iceland for the duration.

First is Churchill walking the ranks

5-8-2014 7;13;48 PM.JPG

• 2 weeks later...