WWII USS Crevalle Sailor's Grouping Bronze Star

conningtower

conningtower

A couple of years ago I acquired the wartime scrapbook of MoMM 2/c Albert Jenigen. Jenigen was on Crevalle during all of her war patrols except for the first, and was awarded the Bronze Star. His scrapbook contains a wealth of photos as well as 2 Bronze Star certificates (one signed by Admiral Lockwood, the other by Secretary of the Navy Forrestal) and Jenigen's Mighty Mine Dodgers certificate from Operation Barney. The scrapbook is just super, but last May I was fortunate enough to find Jenigen's medals and combat patrol certificates for sale at the big Pomona show. I was delighted to be able to reunite this distinguished submariner's pieces.

Here is the medal grouping.

post-12399-1310429677.jpg

conningtower

Operation Barney was memorialized in a book "Hellcats of the Sea" by Admiral Lockwood as well as a movie "Hellcats of the Navy" starring Ronald Reagan (and future wife Nancy Davis). Here's the great cover of Lockwood's book.

post-12399-1310430634.jpg

conningtower

USS Crevalle had a British guest aboard during the Operation Barney mission. He was Lt. Commander Barclay Lakin, and he wrote poetry while Crevalle was being depth-charged. Janigen's scrapbook includes a period copy of Lakin's poetry, which was documented in Lockwood's book. Here is the copy in Jenigen's scrapbook.

post-12399-1310431132.jpg

conningtower
Quite a grouping! It is very complete and well organized.

I look forward to more up-dates.

Thanks Jason and Jack's Son. Hey Jack's, I see that you're a Trojan. Fight On!

Erik

Putting a group back together like this one doesnt happen enough! Good job and great group,

Kurt