WWII USS Crevalle Sailor's Grouping Bronze Star

conningtower

conningtower
Putting a group back together like this one doesnt happen enough! Good job and great group,

Kurt

Thanks Bobgee and Kurt! I've been lucky a couple of times. A year ago I was able to reunite a U-Boat German Cross in Gold winner's (U-617) documents with his photo album and other misc. documents. It's a shame that these groupings get dismantled...

Erik

CNY Militaria

Great group! I love hearing stories of reuniting parted lots such as this. Not only exciting to have a more complete grouping, but also the thrill of when you spot the name during your treasure hunting!!

Great that you were able to reunite this grouping, but I have to ask. Did you just run across this at the show or did you know it was going to be there? And when you picked up the photo album years ago did you know that the group had been split up? I only ask because the odds are so remote to reunite something like this unless you know in advance that there is a chance they might become available at a later time. Thanks, Gregg

• 1 month later...

that is a great collection. My grandfather was in operation Barney as well. he was the commander of the USS Bonefish that did not return from the mission. I had never seen the mine dodger certificate. Thanks for sharing. I am looking for any items from teh USS 223 Bonefish. if you ever see anything, please let me know. thanks,

Michael

Kurt Barickman

Wow, really great group to a valor decorated submariner :thumbsup: I am envious and thanks for sharing.

Kurt Barickman

• 2 years later...

Realize this is an old post but wanted to say what a great grouping it is. Very rare for a number of reasons. Few bronze stars were awarded to EMs on subs. Few genuine Dodger's certificates have survived (plenty of fake blank ones sold on Ebay as authentic). Hard to find the combat cards along with the pin (the cards are more rare than the pins). Almost never see complete medal groups for EMs on subs, generally see officer's.

I have two groupings from Crevalle, one of which shows the same crew shot that you have, and a pic of the battleflag with different guys holding it but taken at the same location as yours. One of my groupings relates to the silver star awarded to EM Yeager for saving the boat and shows him receiving his medal from Merrill Comstock. The other to the Crevalle's visit to Pitcairn Island and commissioning.

There is a really good book on Crevalle and its mission to recover Japanese "Z" war plans and rescue some 40 refugees. Aptly titled The Rescue.

• 7 years later...
Submariner Granddaughter
On 7/12/2011 at 3:48 AM, conningtower said:

Picture of Jenigen and two other EM who received the Bronze Star. Jenigen is on the left.

post-12399-1310431684.jpg

Submariner Granddaughter
On 7/12/2011 at 3:48 AM, conningtower said:

Picture of Jenigen and two other EM who received the Bronze Star. Jenigen is on the left, he is my grandfather. 

post-12399-1310431684.jpg

Just now, Submariner Granddaughter said:

Albert "Bud" Jenigen is on the bottom left. He is my grandfather and his scrapbook was taken from him by a con-man who said he was a museum curator. My grandfather thought his memories would be put in a WWII history museum, instead, it was sold to strangers. I am heartbroken. Below, is my grandparents' wedding photo. They married just after the war. 

IMG_2020.JPG

Submariner Granddaughter

My grandfather is on the left in the white shorts. My son is named after him and looks just like him.  

conningtower
3 hours ago, Submariner Granddaughter said:

My grandfather is on the left in the white shorts. My son is named after him and looks just like him.  

Sent you a personal message regarding this grouping.

aerialbridge

Cool battle flag in the OP,  a cat in a Zoot suit, not sure how that relates to a crevalle, aka, yellow mackerel, other than that the cat would probably like to eat it.  But great group and photos.