Why do you hate the OG shade 7 Dark stuff from 1945!

17thairborne

RustyCanteen

Marchville1918,

I've actually seen a few people who don't consider 1945 to be part of WWII?!? Likely on the theory that anything made in 1945 didn't make it over.

Maybe not to the ETO (it's hard to say), but pretty likely in the PTO.

Good to hear of more late war collectors.

RC

I agree that 1945 stuff could have made it to the PTO by wars end. Would be a nice area to do some researching on...

Justin

Fellow Collectors,

I've noticed that much of the field gear that is dated 1945 seems to get shunned. :disgust: The prices for mint '45 OG7 (hope I got that color designator correct) shade stuff is usually less than the transitional or earlier stuff. I realize that many folks like the 44 lighter stuff for their Normandy impressions and the like, but the war was still going on in '45 and with stuff leaving the factory in january a lot of it did make it into the ETO and certainly the Pacific before VE and Vj day.

Am I missing something here or is it simply the less desirable stuff that keeps the price lower. I for one like to buy mint '45 stuff. I think it would fit on a post-operation Varsity display with mix and match gear.

What do you all think? :think:

oz

I have never been "khaki nazi". All WWII era OD#7 items are nicely welcomed in my collection including 1945 ones.

combat-helmets
1945 dated gear also works well for Korean War

doesnt matter to me if it's late WWII - Korean war era

Couldnt agree more! I picked up recently a 1945 dated Boyt USMC P41 haversack and it's awesome!

And since so much WW2 surplus found it's way to Korea, and even Vietnam

For that matter, it had a hell of a shelf life!

It might just be because of the later date. Early war dates seem to be sought more often. Or it could be that something made in 45 is less likely to have seen any use in the war? It doesn't matter to me though, I want it all!

-Matt.

RustyCanteen
It doesn't matter to me though, I want it all!

-Matt.

:o

Please leave some for us! :crying: :lol:;)

The only piece of OD7 I have is an ammo belt dated 1945. I have nothing against the dark shade, it just isn't what my uncles would have been issued. As for the lone belt, I got it from a museum that was closing down and was divesting itself of its contents. It IS mint. But that dark shade is a pain in the butt to read dates and manufacturers on compared to the lighter gear ... :blink:

The only piece of OD7 I have is an ammo belt dated 1945. I have nothing against the dark shade, it just isn't what my uncles would have been issued. As for the lone belt, I got it from a museum that was closing down and was divesting itself of its contents. It IS mint. But that dark shade is a pain in the butt to read dates and manufacturers on compared to the lighter gear ... :blink:

Reaper, I think that is why people are not overly fond of the OD7 gear. On the other hand, if you look at the link I posted it mentions that OD7 items were being produced from 1942/43 onwards so it could have been issued and used (shock horror) on D Day! When did your uncles join?

From At The Front Website - "*US fieldgear was gradually changed from OD3 to OD 7 starting in late '42 or early '43. The colors were used concurrently and sometimes components of both colors were used on one item. Gear made using mixed colors is called "transitional" by collectors."

I also have some OD7 gear and I do agree with you about the difficulty of reading the dates.