Why do you hate the OG shade 7 Dark stuff from 1945!

17thairborne

Given the quick wear and tear of gear in the Pacific, I am pretty sure some 1945 dated stuff went over and saw service in Okinawa, the Phillipines and New Guinea. Probably alot issued state side to troops gearing up for the invasion of Japan as well. To me that is all a part of WWII. And since my intrest includes the Korean War, I am always intrested in 1945 gear.

Semper Fi, Rob

17thairborne

Great to see all the comments. What prompted my question was the fact that over the last few months I was able to find some great deals on 45 dated stuff. For example $51 for a mint Garand belt, 12.50 for a GP ammo bag etc. It seemed to me that no one really cared for the stuff.

As far as procurement to delivery time I found the following:

"In transit time was the average period required in months or days for all types of equipment to be physically moved from points of acceptance at the procurement source sic [factory] to the zone of interior point of issue or the theater of operations port of debarkation...In the 1 August 1943 ASP, which allowed an average of 45 days in-transit time to all theaters, theater of operations in-transit requirements for the year 1944 were defined as 45 days...At the same time, the approved zone of interior in-transit allowance was 15 days..."

R. Elberton Smith, US Army in World War II: The Army and Economic Mobilization (Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1958), 198.

That means that the standard was 60 days from the factory to the troop. Many times things got there quicker and many times slower, but at any rate it would be conceivable for items produced in January to have gotten to the ETO in Marc or April. Certainly this was the case in the PTO!

Let's look for some photographic evidence.

Oz

Squad leader

I hate OD7 or late war stuff!!! :yucky:

I only collect khaki stuff, I can't stand this awful OD 7 shade (except HBT jackets, pants and coveralls).

I have no M43 jackets or pants in my collection, no buckle boots and a few SB helmets.

Dan.

I hate OD7 or late war stuff!!! :yucky:

I only collect khaki stuff, I can't stand this awful OD 7 shade (except HBT jackets, pants and coveralls).

I have no M43 jackets or pants in my collection, no buckle boots and a few SB helmets.

Dan.

:D

When I was a kid... I did not buy 45 dated stuff because "it-could-not-have-been-used-in-Normandy". So I left many pistol belts, canteen covers, etc... in yard sales, fleamarkets, etc... I did not pick up swivel bails helmets as well. Believe me I left on the ground many SB steel pots at ridiculous prices !

I wish I had them now in my collection... :think:

I've accumulated a good pile of O.D. #7 canvas gear, including stuff made in 1945. Most of the dark stuff, though, is dated '43 or '44.

No problem at all with it here :think:

I love it and have a complete 10 pocket set up, pistol belt, etc. Still looking for a mint mussett bag.

I have a complete set of OD7 gear... Cartridge Belt, Canteen cover, first aid pouch... but I don't have the musette... I DO have a complete M1944 packset though....

Wayne

Squad leader
I like your honesty...but really do you like it or not :lol:

Honestly, I have a marked preference for the OD3 shade.

As Andrei said, OD7 stuff was not worn in Normandy.

Dan.

Actually he said:

I did not buy 45 dated stuff because "it-could-not-have-been-used-in-Normandy".

So why couldn't a 1943 dated dark colored item been used in Normandy????

Like a canteen cover, or suspenders, or ammo pouch????

Erwin

1945 dated OD7 Field gear is actually getting very hard to find. At Militaria show's here in England you see plenty of OD3 but hardly any OD7.

I like the OD7 gear :thumbsup: I think it's over looked as a serious collector's piece.

Rich

RustyCanteen

It is difficult to find in "mint" condition anymore. Used still turns up pretty commonly, although not all "unissued" is really what I would think of as "mint condition". Storage wear can have an adverse effect on the desirability for those truly wanting "mint unissued" webbing.

17thairborne
It is difficult to find in "mint" condition anymore. Used still turns up pretty commonly, although not all "unissued" is really what I would think of as "mint condition". Storage wear can have an adverse effect on the desirability for those truly wanting "mint unissued" webbing.

That's another great point. Mint probably does not exist any more. Storage wear and fading reduces it to Near Mint or Exc condition. Watch the prices though. It usually seems to go less than OG3 of the same condition. It seem like the transitions stuff is the most desirable.

oz

OD3 or OD7, doesnt worry me if was or wasnt used in ww2.If i see US webbing and the price is right ill get it!

Most of my favorite bits of web gear are od7 and 45 dated.

I do like the od3 stuff too...

That's another great point. Mint probably does not exist any more. Storage wear and fading reduces it to Near Mint or Exc condition. Watch the prices though. It usually seems to go less than OG3 of the same condition. It seem like the transitions stuff is the most desirable.

oz

Mint is still out there oz. You just have to be clear of the distinction between mint and near mint and excellent like you said.

Sam

RustyCanteen
Mint is still out there oz. You just have to be clear of the distinction between mint and near mint and excellent like you said.

Sam

The problem is that some dealers/sellers are themselves not exactly clear on the definitions either. Same thing is also a problem with the M1956 webbing, a little storage wear can reduce the value.

17thairborne

Mint vs near mint can be a whole 'nuther discussion. I've always taken that to be fresh outta the can/box/wax paper wrapper. If it ain't boxed. canned or wrapped it ain't mint. Scuff and dust is near mint. You are correct though it is around. An example would be an unopened ration can with a 10 pack of charms candy in the wax wrapper. :twothumbup: The Charms, if not smashed and still sealed in the wax are mint unissued. Once you take them outta the wrapper they are just mint. :thumbsup: In a very short time they will be near mint. :) But I suppose if you don't take em out and enjoy the stuff by looking and squeezin it just ain't much fun. :(

I do luv collecting though!

oz

Erwin,

That is a great thread. Thanks for researching and posting it here. I learned a lot.

oz

No problem, Oz, glad I could help.

Erwin

Marchville1918

I like the 1944 and 45 dark OD 7 gear. I collect webb gear and I want examples of everything. It is cheaper (for now) and as a general rule you don't need to worry much about reproductions. My father went overseas to Europe in 1945 so in our family that year counts as being a big part of WW11.