Why do you hate the OG shade 7 Dark stuff from 1945!

17thairborne

17thairborne

Fellow Collectors,

I've noticed that much of the field gear that is dated 1945 seems to get shunned. :disgust: The prices for mint '45 OG7 (hope I got that color designator correct) shade stuff is usually less than the transitional or earlier stuff. I realize that many folks like the 44 lighter stuff for their Normandy impressions and the like, but the war was still going on in '45 and with stuff leaving the factory in january a lot of it did make it into the ETO and certainly the Pacific before VE and Vj day.

Am I missing something here or is it simply the less desirable stuff that keeps the price lower. I for one like to buy mint '45 stuff. I think it would fit on a post-operation Varsity display with mix and match gear.

What do you all think? :think:

oz

I've noticed that much of the field gear that is dated 1945 seems to get shunned... :disgust:

That's a new one on me! :huh:

El Bibliotecario

I have no idea why or if 1945 issue field gear might be 'hated.' I do know from personal recollection that a half century ago surplus stores were crammed with unissued M1945 field gear,--I'd guess most of what was made with that date went from factory to QM depot and directly to property disposal. The stuff was sold for peanuts; perhaps the relative "un"-rareity is a factor.

In fact it looks really cool on an M43 field jacket.

Besides, lots of "dark stuff" was dated 1943 and 1944 too.

Erwin

I collect both...love the green stuff as much as the khaki. I've been at collectors' shows with guys who've picked up cheap mint green belts and pouches etc., but have promptly put them back down again because they're '48 dated..or something like that, and are therefore "Not strictly WW2"...and these are identical in every way to stuff produced in '44-'45!

Ian :w00t:

General Apathy
I have no idea why or if 1945 issue field gear might be 'hated.'

Hi El Bibliotecario,

I think you will find the reason to be is that the re-enactors cannot wear late 44 or even 1945 stuff for any display that predates that. Re-enactors hate it, but collectors will collect it, as collectors they collect early to late to show the full extent and progression of equipment that was used WWII. Due to costs most re-enactors have one set of uniform that represents D-Day.

So none of the late stuff can be worn for a D-Day scenario or such, but also if you see paratroop re-enactors they can wear the earliest of webbing such as WWI belts, bottles and pouches but they will not buy M-41 jumpsuits it has to be the M-42. Likewise the same for the Infantry and a D-Day impression M-1910 field-packs early webbing and 41 field jackets, very few want 43 jackets and two buckle boots. :wacko:

However Jeep wise it can only be later models such as the MB / GPW and these can be built post D-Day because the design was still the one used on D-Day, and here they will not use the earlier MA or GP Jeeps as they were not used on D-Day.

I think it's all to do with what will pass for a D-Day impression the defining day of WWII. :think:

ken

hbtcoveralls

Ken's right as always. Re-enactors have to exist within the correct time frame. The OG 7 stuff came out very late, while the light shade was in use all the way through. It was very liberating (so to speak) in 2010 when we went to the Czech Republic for the V-E celebrations to be able to wear the dark shade equipment. For collectors, however they are a really cool variation that often appears in unissued condition.

Tom Bowers

Johan Willaert

As a collector I have a fair share of 1945 dated OD7 equipment.

That being said I'm fairly sure not a lot of the 1945 dated gear made it into the ETO before VE-Day on May 8th 1945.

I believe about 6 months from manufacture to actual field issue would be an close estimate.

Just like you really need pre-1918 stuff for a correct US WW1 impression and a 1943 or earlier date for D-Day gear

And as always there would be exceptions, such as Assault Jackets which were all made in 1944 and rushed to England in time for the invasion..

I think you will find the reason to be is that the re-enactors cannot wear late 44 or even 1945 stuff for any display that predates that. Re-enactors hate it...

Ah, so...it's WWII re-enactors promoting hate towards inanimate objects. Sounds like they are on their way to catch up with some of the other re-enactor groups apparel "nazis"! That's ironic, since they are supposed to be portraying men that fought against intolerance and dictatorship.

Fire away! :w00t:

I guess I am in the minority here according to the replies, but I have no interest in 1945 dated gear of any kind. I only collect items that could have been issued during the war. 1945 dated items had a very slight chance of getting through to the front lines during the war.

Sure, it is cool to have examples of each date, each shade of OD, etc but I don't have the time, money, or room to do that!

To me 1945 dated items may as well be dated 1995.

Before I sound too much like a khaki nazi...I have plenty of 1943 and 1944 dated OD 7 and transitional items on display...just not 1945. :lol:

Justin

I guess I am in the minority here according to the replies, but I have no interest in 1945 dated gear of any kind. I only collect items that could have been issued during the war. 1945 dated items had a very slight chance of getting through to the front lines during the war.

Sure, it is cool to have examples of each date, each shade of OD, etc but I don't have the time, money, or room to do that!

To me 1945 dated items may as well be dated 1995.

Before I sound too much like a khaki nazi...I have plenty of 1943 and 1944 dated OD 7 and transitional items on display...just not 1945. :lol:

Justin

So you're the culprit!!!

;)

RustyCanteen

I think Ken's explanation is probably part of the reason, but I think "ODMan's" is probably the other part.

One group doesn't need it since it's too late for their impression and the other just has no interest in it. That leaves WWII equipment collectors as the only group that does pick up 1945 gear, except for the KW & VN war collectors.

El Bibliotecario
Ah, so...it's WWII re-enactors promoting hate towards inanimate objects. Sounds like they are on their way to catch up with some of the other re-enactor groups apparel "nazis"! That's ironic, since they are supposed to be portraying men that fought against intolerance and dictatorship.

Fire away! :w00t:

*laff* Does this make eschewing M1945 OG for earlier shades of khaki a hate crime?

The re-enactor theory sounds valid. I tend to forget re-enactors--even though I, too, once dressed up in funny clothes, festooned myself with field gear, stayed out in the rain and ate cold food from cans. In my case the govt was paying me to do so--and no one ever checked the dates on my field gear. But I wish such folks well.

since I also like to collect from any war between WWII - KOREA - VIETNAM

the late OD gear also works well for early Vietnam and French Foreign Legion and the Battle of Dien Bien Phu 1950's era

most of my collection is post WWII anyways

It's no different than trying to pass of 70's dated stuff to a Vietnam era collector. It is truely Vietnam era, but if it's not 69 dated, the stuff brings a fraction of the cost of the pre 70 dated things. I will collect 45 dated stuff, but none of my impressions have 45 dated items in it. All 45 dated things go in my Korean War collection.

RustyCanteen
It's no different than trying to pass of 70's dated stuff to a Vietnam era collector. It is truely Vietnam era, but if it's not 69 dated, the stuff brings a fraction of the cost of the pre 70 dated things. I will collect 45 dated stuff, but none of my impressions have 45 dated items in it. All 45 dated things go in my Korean War collection.

True, although in certain circumstances the dates may be ok to be a little later.

RC

I collect stuff that was made durring both world wars so anything produced from 1914 to 1945 has a home on my shelves.

I also agree its the re-enacters driving the khaki craziness.