Airborne Posthumous Silver Star group 11th Airborne Division

KASTAUFFER

I just picked this up and I wanted to share with everyone the unusual engraving on the Air Medal. Everyone has seen officially named Air Medals from WWII named Rank/NAME/AC ( Air Corps ) . Believe it or not AMs are known with other branches engraved on them too. FA is the most common ( Field Artillery ) because of the number of FA spotters who were KIA who earned AMs. This one is to an INFANTRY Lt. so it is engraved INF.

1st Lt Varner Merkel was KIA 11/27/44 in the Philippines in an action against the Japanese on Leyte while serving with the 511th Parachute Infantry , 11th Airborne Division . His Silver Star citation says it all.

His awards were confirmed on ABMC. This group was un-researched when I bought it. I just got a copy of his citation.

The SS and AM are officially hand engraved . His BS is most likely a CIB conversion dating from the 50's or 60's. His GCM is small machine engraved. He was a National Guard enlisted man before he became an officer. I am missing his Purple Heart. It has to be out there somewhere.

varner.jpg

I am still deciding if I will keep this group or not, because I do not specialize in Airborne groupings.

Lt. Merkel , I am glad to be able to keep your memory alive with this thread.

Kurt

Under what conditions would an AM be awarded in this type of situation/to an airborne infantry officer? Kurt, you pick up some amazing groups and I'm always jealous!

Infantry officers were assigned to Infantry Division aviation sections and were used as airborne observers (tracking front lines and lines of contact, coordinating artillery fire, and whatever else was necessary). They were very literally a continuation of the scout as eyes of the commander. Because their basic branch was Infantry and their primary duties involved flight, they received Air Medals with "Inf" (like this one).

Here are some examples of citations to 11th AB men who received Air Medals. They were on the same GO as Varner's SS award. Unfortunately his AM award is on a different GO.

am.jpg

What a great grouping. I love the unusual stuff. Too bad the PH isn't with it. It couldn't get more complete.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, I know that this may be a little too late, but I was wondering if these are still in your possession? Merkel was my great uncle and I’d be very interested in obtaining them! Up until yesterday, we believed that we had his medals, but after seeing these I’m wondering if we have a replacement set. They are off getting reframed, so we can’t check the engraving on the back. It’d be wonderful to get them back, and I’m hoping that it’s not too late! Thank you.