A few new B-17 pictures

renfield

post-5349-1322408796.jpgThank you once again Jack. I have started a "log book" with all this info written down. I bought a book about the 91st BG and it is a wealth of info. I found this account of the last flight of CHEIF SLYS SON. If I am reading the date on my photo right it was taken just 7 days befor the plane was lost on a raid to Oschersleben Germany. The following is from the book....Flown by Lt. J.C. Page there was a small fire in the left wing fuel tank until after bombs away and the formation began to lose altitude. At that time the fire grew. They came under fighter attack and s/sgt Arther Ginder was killed. Bail out began about 15,000 feet. All the gunners and the navigator abandoned the ship. Page, the co-pilot, Lt. Butler, and Lt. William Stevenson the bombardier headed for the nose hatch. At that time the aircraft exploded. Page and Stevenson were blown clear and opened their chutes but Butlers body was later found in the aircraft. All the survivors were taken prisoner.

In the book THE RAGGED IRREGULARS OF BASSINGBOURN by Marion H. Havelaar there is a photo of the RAMBLIN WRECK. It matches exactly with the photo I posted. Here is the info from the book. It flew with the 91st BG (H) 401st BS 229679 LL-A survived to April 5 1944 when she was retired from combat, probably do to the lack of long-range fuel tanks.

post-5349-1322412758.jpgOnce again the members of this forum have educated and inspired me. I found this info about my pic of PEG O MY HEART. It was with the 91st BG(H) and the nose art was painted by Tony Starcer the same man who painted the Memphis Belle and many other B-17s. The lady on the plane was an Army nurse named Margaret Mary Kennedy who was the fiance of the pilot Capt. John Westwood. I have found the entire story of this B-17.

Steve

post-5349-1322408796.jpgThank you once again Jack. I have started a "log book" with all this info written down. I bought a book about the 91st BG and it is a wealth of info. I found this account of the last flight of CHEIF SLYS SON. If I am reading the date on my photo right it was taken just 7 days befor the plane was lost on a raid to Oschersleben Germany. The following is from the book....Flown by Lt. J.C. Page there was a small fire in the left wing fuel tank until after bombs away and the formation began to lose altitude. At that time the fire grew. They came under fighter attack and s/sgt Arther Ginder was killed. Bail out began about 15,000 feet. All the gunners and the navigator abandoned the ship. Page, the co-pilot, Lt. Butler, and Lt. William Stevenson the bombardier headed for the nose hatch. At that time the aircraft exploded. Page and Stevenson were blown clear and opened their chutes but Butlers body was later found in the aircraft. All the survivors were taken prisoner.

Your most welcome Steve; that's a great shot.

A friend of mine enlarged his dads low res WWII photos to 20 MG's + and the images were greatly improved for reading markings and such.He had to put them on a DVD for viewing.

Is that a sharp mission photo or blurry like your crop version?

Jack

It is a mission photo. With a jewlers loop I can clearly read the name of the B-17. It is very sharp and clear.

Than that would be a good photo to greatly increase in size for easier viewing on a DVD.The fighter details also.

• 2 weeks later...

post-5349-1323220725.jpgThis photo had always stumped me. I could not make out the entire name. I got a new B-17 book and there she was........I GOT SPURS 41-24440. She was modified for long range photo recon and assigned to the 15th PM, 3rd PRMG. The plane was salvaged in Albuquerque in June 1945. I am not sure when the name was changed to the way it is in the picture. Another one of my random pictures now has the story behind the bomber.

Steve

post-5349-1323220725.jpgThis photo had always stumped me. I could not make out the entire name. I got a new B-17 book and there she was........I GOT SPURS 41-24440. She was modified for long range photo recon and assigned to the 15th PM, 3rd PRMG. The plane was salvaged in Albuquerque in June 1945. I am not sure when the name was changed to the way it is in the picture. Another one of my random pictures now has the story behind the bomber.

Steve

Nice shot of both ships.

• 2 weeks later...

post-5349-1324241511.jpgI have seen this nose art on many B-24s but this is the first time on a B-17. This picture and the one of the SHOO SHOO BABY are in realy bad condition. This is the best I could do with my limited photo shop knowledge. The name is DOUBLE EXPOSURE

Steve

post-5349-1324241799.jpgI got this unpublished negative of the Memphis Belle being inspected by King George last week. Not the best picture, but I like the fact that it has not been published..... to the best of my knowledge. The nose art can be clearly seen. The best part of the pic.

post-5349-1324242193.jpgThis is my other snap shot of the MEMPHIS BELLE this was taken on the war bond tour back in the U.S. there were other pictures in the series but this was the only one I got. I think it was the best of the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

post-5349-1325456312.jpgThanks for adding your pictures 38Driver. Welcome to the forum and keep posting! There is no nose art on this B-17G but I like the snow and the dark uniforms of the flyers.

Steve

post-5349-1325456312.jpgThanks for adding your pictures 38Driver. Welcome to the forum and keep posting! There is no nose art on this B-17G but I like the snow and the dark uniforms of the flyers.

Steve

Steve, great shot!

Is that blonde bomber or blonde bomber II ?

91st BG,447thBG,and 487thBG had B-17's named both.

Jack

Hello Jack, I am not sure if it is Blond Bomber or Blond Bomber II. I enlarged the photo, but the guns of the chin turret cover what could be II . If I had to guess I would say Blond Bomber II. As always thanks for your info.

Steve

post-5349-1325793103.jpg I wish I knew the story behind this picture. To me it looks like a man in a Chinese uniform. The tail number of the B-17 is 25228 . I have only a few pictures of B-17s from the PTO.

Steve

post-5349-1325793741.jpg This is the other photo I have of a PTO bomber. It is B-17E 41-2458 Yankee Diddl'er Wouldn't It Root Ya 30thBS 19th BG I read one story on line that this plane was later used as a cargo/transport plane that made trips to Australia. The Airfields at that time had women as air traffic controlers and they were offended by the name and nose art so they would make the plane park on the farthest hardstands.

Steve

post-5349-1325793741.jpg This is the other photo I have of a PTO bomber. It is B-17E 41-2458 Yankee Diddl'er Wouldn't It Root Ya 30thBS 19th BG I read one story on line that this plane was later used as a cargo/transport plane that made trips to Australia. The Airfields at that time had women as air traffic controlers and they were offended by the name and nose art so they would make the plane park on the farthest hardstands.

Steve

Steve,Great shot of an old timer!

Delivered to Sacramento 10 days after Pearl Harbor..A survivor as well, written off 27 January,1945

Jack

post-5349-1325889873.jpgI just got this pic in the mail today. The name can be read clearly on the actual picture. I know that there were many planes named IMPATIENT VIRGIN so I am not sure what BG or BS this B-17F would be in.

Jack could you point me to any books that will help me research these pictures. Thank you for your help and I will keep reading about these great planes and brave men who flew them.

Steve

post-5349-1325889873.jpgI just got this pic in the mail today. The name can be read clearly on the actual picture. I know that there were many planes named IMPATIENT VIRGIN so I am not sure what BG or BS this B-17F would be in.

Jack could you point me to any books that will help me research these pictures. Thank you for your help and I will keep reading about these great planes and brave men who flew them.

Steve

Steve,

One of my best reference books on 8th Air Force Heavy bombers is Paul Andrews book, HEAVY BOMBERS OF THE MIGHTY EIGHTH, from Paul's Bits & Pieces project in 1995. Haven't seen anything since that is better than Paul's and William Adam's efforts.

i.e. for IMPATIENT VIRGIN there are several listed in the 44th,94th,95th,96th,305th,306th385th,388th,452ndBG's..306th's was an F model

Jack