A few new B-17 pictures

renfield

Here is a Pacific B-17E with a story. She is "SALLY" the personal plane of General George C. Kenny. Number 41-2633 and was scrapped in May 1945.

post-5349-0-30251700-1371867650.jpg

Trooper B.A.R

It looks like she came in on one wheel.

Wonder if the right landing gear just collapsed. Standard operating procedure if a positive was not given on a landing gear was to also drop the turret, (a 15 minute procedure all were trained in). It was a dangerous procedure to land on only one wheel and with the turret still attached. Could cause a wing to break off, twist to the side, turn over, or flip, and catch on fire.

These are GREAT pics here.... thanks to everyone for sharing them!

Here's one I found online of the ROYAL FLUSH, and most likely seen before, titled "Henry Woodall Crew" and a link to the original site with photo and info on the crew. http://www.100thbg.com/mainpages/crews/crews3/woodall_hw.htm

I do have a question, in looking at the link... it gives a listing of crew members, with a few listings of crew changes. I'm assumming the first listing under the photo are the names of the crew in the photo? I'm researching a bombadier, Everett Davis (not sure which one he is).

post-4361-0-93102800-1372254348.jpg

Sorry, no nose art or name on this one, but I do have the names of the crew:

The Merle A. Ehorn Crew (L to R)
Lt. Everett H. Davis - BOM, Unknown, Capt. Merle Ehorn - P, T/Sgt. Richard Brady - ROG,
Lt. Paul Mitchell - CP, Lt. Joe T. Anderson - NAV, Sgt. Joseph Eubanks - WG.

Kneeling: Unknown
Photo taken August 26, 1944

post-4361-0-14567300-1372255681.jpg

Super nice picture of ROYAL FLUSH! Is this the plane that Rosie Rosenthal flew on the Oct. 10 1943 raid on Munster? Thanks for posting it.

Steve

AAF_Collection

Here is a picture of "Betty Lou's Buggy" I had not seen in the past. It looks like a wheels up landing.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Great pic!. There was another "Betty Lou's Buggy" in the 91st, she was 42-37938 of the 401st BS and was involved in a minor accident at RAF Valley on Anglesey on September 26,1944.

Regards,

Matt.

Super nice picture of ROYAL FLUSH! Is this the plane that Rosie Rosenthal flew on the Oct. 10 1943 raid on Munster? Thanks for posting it.

Steve

I don't really know. I was searching the flight crew by names when I came across the photo.

Finding a snap shot of the MEMPHIS BELL is one of my collecting goals. I have a picture of her on the war bond tour, but the lack of painted mission bombs makes it a bit odd. This picture came from the same album that the other Tony Starcer pictures came from. It has a red stamp on the back. You can see the classic nose art and just make out the lettering of her name. Still No mission marks!!! Any thoughts on this?

Steve

post-5349-0-75131400-1372862173.jpg

A much younger Tony Starcer. I have seen this picture on other web sites. The picture I have has the official stamps on the back. I am guessing many of the pictures I have been buying were sold by the base photographer. Sort of unofficial, official pictures.

Steve

post-5349-0-23882400-1372862629.jpg

One reason I enjoy collecting these pictures is finding things most people would over look. The B-17 MOUNT N RIDE is a G model, but it has an "ice window". I would have told anyone that there is no way a G model would have this little window. There it is!!! The other picture is of a 15th AAF B-17 that shows the ice window from inside. These may have been more common that I thought. Never to old, or proud to learn.

Steve

post-5349-0-87819200-1373072557.jpg

post-5349-0-00816000-1373072584.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a great picture of another Starcer ship. The DUKE OF PUDUCAH not a real clear picture of the nose art but notice the crewman with the flak jacket.

post-5349-0-96528700-1373945882.jpg

post-5349-0-06242900-1373946191.jpgI can't help myself!!!! Another MEMPHIS BELLE picture. You can not tell from this scan but on the picture I can make out some mission markings. At last! A unofficial snapshot for sure, just what I like. Also notice the sweater the officer on the left is wearing. I just added one of these "vest with sleeves" to my collection of uniforms and flight gear.

Steve

Tony Starcer painted this lovely lady on MARY KAY she was with the 91st BG(H) 324th BS and was lost on 18th March 1944. Notice the Norden bombsite has been rubbed out of the picture.

post-5349-0-72498800-1373946381.jpg

This is not your standard Starcer pin up girl! The JUBJUB BIRD. Too bad the photo cut off most of the name. All of these pictures I have been posting have come from a seller who broke up a photo album. It would have been nice to have had the chance to buy the entire album.

Steve

post-5349-0-49016100-1373948103.jpg

I think this might be JUST NOTHING, but I am not sure. It looks as if this has been set up as a display for visitors.

post-5349-0-95191200-1373948523.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would share this pic I took last Sunday of (The Movie) Memphis Belle at

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County Airport in the early AM, as we arrived to prep for a day of flying.

Seemed like an English morning......

John

post-12439-0-01822600-1375278192.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Steve Birdsall

Here's a snapshot you might like Steve . . . it shows 41-24353 when it was flying as an armed transport with the 433rd Troop Carrier Group. That's the radio operator, T/Sgt Robert Midgley.

Midgley.jpg

Garandomatic

I remember, before all of the post-9/11 security, that the local municipal strip looked similar when the bombers came to town. If you were late for the walk-through or what have you, they just left them sitting, and you could really take your time and enjoy their presence. Hasn't been a warbird in town since 2007.

Thought I would share this pic I took last Sunday of (The Movie) Memphis Belle at

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County Airport in the early AM, as we arrived to prep for a day of flying.

Seemed like an English morning......

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi B-17 Guy you must have a heck of a great life!!! Mr. Birdsall that is a great picture of the ship and the crew member. It is always nice to put a name with the face. I got this picture of HOT TO GO from the 447th BG the other day. It is equipped with the AN/APQ-7 Eagle radar. From what I can find there were not many B-17s so equipped. A lot of B-24s and B-29s and mostly in the Pacific.

When I googled the info I found another picture of this plane and the same man! It is not the same picture, as the man in the picture I have is standing in a different position. The pictures had to be taken at the same time but were separated over the years.

post-5349-0-62790300-1378594065.jpg

I got this picture of BANSHEE from Ebay. She flew with the 306th BS 303rd GB(H). I looked around on the net but could not find a good picture of her nose art. I think it is kind of neat, the clover with the lightning bolts. I am sure there are better pictures of this plane out there but I am happy to get this one. She flew 97 missions before being lost on 27 Aug. 1944.

post-5349-0-45052300-1378594533.jpg

Steve Birdsall

Steve, that's an earlier Banshee. I believe your photo shows 41-24488, which was assigned to Lt William "Wild Bill" Casey and his crew from the 306th Bomb Group. It was shot down on the April 17, 1943 Bremen mission. Fighter attacks had crippled Banshee and she was flying on one engine as she crossed the coast of Holland on the way home. When that last engine ran away Casey was forced to turn back towards enemy territory. The radio operator and four gunners in the rear of the plane were already dead when the others bailed out at 23,000 feet, relying on the wind to blow them back over land. They all narrowly made it and were taken prisoner almost immediately. Great photo, and a rare one I think.

I have been able to get my hands on some more 91st BG nose art pictures. I had to do some photo shop work as the pictures are very dark and look as if they had been close to a fire. There are no military markings on the backs so they may be post war copies of war time pictures. The first is RHAPSODY IN RED, by our old friend Tony Starcer. I have seen this image in colour and it is bright and beautiful.

post-5349-0-74004200-1379186362.jpg