A few new B-17 pictures

renfield

I know this picture was developed after the war by the look of the paper. It has "Clark Field 1945" written in pall point pen. It is still a good picture and the only picture I have of a B-17 converted to carry a life boat.

Steve

post-5349-0-21823700-1369950813.jpg

This is a picture of WOLF PACK. I like the nose art on this B-17F. I googled the name and came up with a couple of different ships with that name. I could not find matching nose art on any of them. Anybody have a clue?

Steve

post-5349-0-42811900-1369951613.jpg

This is STELLA and I found an entire web page devoted to her history. She flew with the 544th BS of the 384th BG (H). On 7 April 1943 she ran out of fuel and mad a forced landing near Lytchett Minster England. The 347th Engineer Unit created a runway in 9 days. A mobile repair unit repaired the B-17 and she flew out on June 27th. There are pictures on the web of the run way being made and the ship being repaired. I did not know of this when I got the photo.

Steve

post-5349-0-40059700-1369953830.jpg

On page 57 of the Osprey book "B-17 flying fortress units of the Pacific war" there is a picture of this same plane listed as an unidentified B-17E with over 200 missions. Their picture was taken on Hickam Field in late 1943. I can tell by the markings that it is the same plane but still no ID. It looks like a B-24 Liberator in the back ground. Anybody out there have any info on this plane?

Steve

post-5349-0-40556600-1370143014.jpg

Steve Birdsall

That's 41-2472 Guinea Pig. The 200 missions story is questionable, but that B-17 was around for a long time. In January 1942 it was in Java with the 7th Bomb Group. It later flew from Australia and New Guinea with the 19th Bomb Group and, when they went home, it continued to serve with the 43rd Bomb Group. I believe its last combat mission was on 28 September 1943, when Lt Harry Park and his crew flew a night weather reconnaissance to Wewak.

Wow, thank you so much for the info! Here is another PTO B-17E picture I bought. It is a modern reprint of a war time picture. It is getting harder and harder to find good war time pictures. The picture is of GONE FOREVER- READY BETTY. SN 41-2637 She flew with the 5th AAF 19th BG in either the 28th or 93rdBS. Then transferred to the 43rd BG 63rdBS in June to Sept. 1943. Flown back to the USA in Nov. 1943.

post-5349-0-48691900-1370146167.jpg

Nine O Nine

Hi Steve.

You've got some fantastic pictures there! Particularly love the 91st BG images!

Will try and get my B17 pictures posted in a few days. I can definitely confirm that some of those 388th BG pictures made it to the UK as I managed to get one. Must of bid on about 12 pictures in total but got well and truly out bid on the other 11! Your picture is a really nice one.

Tom.

Nine O Nine

Hi Steve.

You've got some fantastic pictures there! Particularly love the 91st BG images!

Will try and get my B17 pictures posted in a few days. I can definitely confirm that some of those 388th BG pictures made it to the UK as I managed to get one. Must of bid on about 12 pictures in total but got well and truly out bid on the other 11! Your picture is a really nice one.

Tom.

Hello Tom, here is another of the 388th BG pictures I got. I am glad a fellow forum member was able to get a piece of that great photo group. I had never seen pictures go for that much money. It was crazy, but it was an amazing group. I was just out bid on a couple of 91st BG pictures with Starcer nose art. I am looking forward to any pictures you might want to post.

Steve

post-5349-0-53433600-1370302156.jpg

Steve Birdsall

White.jpg

One of my favourite nose artists is Johnnie White. He decorated a number of B-17s in the 96th Bomb Group including this one, 42-31106,Goering's Nightmare.

Johnny Signor

This is a picture of WOLF PACK. I like the nose art on this B-17F. I googled the name and came up with a couple of different ships with that name. I could not find matching nose art on any of them. Anybody have a clue?

Steve

There were other aircraft in the AAF that had "same name" or Art but were not related in any way , just happened to be named same , or those that had same "Girl" nose art but again variations on them in colors etc .................. Probably the case with Wolf Pack ......................

One other possibility is the first could have been lost in combat and they got another ship and re named them the same as they like the title etc .................

Thank you for the info and colour photo. You must have a vast data base of names and nose art. I am reading your book "Claims to Fame" and think it is great. I enjoy the stories of those Pacific B-17's. Here is a picture of "FIFINELLA". She flew 54 missions and was lost to flak Aug.13 1944. The pilot Lt. Thomas Smith was the only KIA. She was with the 322nd BS, 91st BG (H). I know the nose art was painted by Tony Starcer, but I am not sure it is him in the picture.

Steve

post-5349-0-48947800-1371257792.jpg

This is another 91st BG (H) ship. "Texas Chubby the J'ville Jolter". This plane was lost in an explosion over Germany on Aug.16 1944. Four crewmembers survived. I am not sure who did the nose art.

Steve

post-5349-0-74314800-1371257956.jpg

Thank you once again Mr. Birdsdall! I have a series of about 6 pictures of this crash landing. There are many pictures of her nose art and crew photos so it is nice to see some unofficial pictures of this famous plane.

Steve

These are all some great nose art photos. Out of curiosity, anybody have a photo of Tennessee Toddy from 457th BS/751st BG?

no. 42-38854