I'm sticking to the stateside birds. I'll add to the pile

Y1B17 photo taken at the Golden Gate International Expo in 1939

Yb17SF2_zpsbe24ba54.jpg

another of the same 17

YB17SF_zpsf7aa4797.jpg

A 2nd BG Y1B17 taken in September 1939

YB17_zpsdca2720d.jpg

Some postwar B17s.

B17G 43-39043 Destroyed in an accident in July of 1951.

4339043_zps678db48f.jpg

An SB17G 44-83773 that was stationed in Hawaii postwar

SB17G773_zpsc0cc79e4.jpg

No ID on this one but another Search and Rescue SB17G

SB17G_zpsfe9dc034.jpg

Another unidentified B17G that was stationed on Guam postwar with a B29 Wing

IwoJimanB17G_zps02f1e05b.jpg

I had the privilege last month to climb inside the Nine O Nice at Burbank Airport here in So Cal. My admiration for not only my father and his crew, but all crews grew exponentially. Then last night I viewed a video on YouTube that showed the May 17, 1943 bombing raid against Lorient, a German submarine base, by crews from the 91st with the Memphis Belle completing her 25th mission. I cannot even fathom how that must have felt. God bless them and God bless all of you who have served.

There are currently many photos taken by a WWII photographer on Ebay for sale. I emailed the gentleman who is selling them and he replied that he has purchased them last year at an estate sale. Was interesting to view them and hope that some how, family members learn of these photos and are able to add them to their family albums.

I posted this on a thread about my Father's service at Cherry Point MCAS during the Korean war. I'm not sure if that is a life boat or a radome underneath of it. The time period would have been about 1952.

Cherry Point B-17 send.jpg

Steve Birdsall

Steve, I can confirm that Ah’s Availble, 44-8145, was painted by Tony Starcer.

lble.jpg

You’re doing a really good job documenting all these Starcer B-17s . . . I don’t think I’ve ever seen Sure Shot before, but I have no doubts that Tony painted that one too.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. It is an honor to have you here. Mr. Birdsall is a aviation historian and writer. He has published at least 12 books on W.W.2 aviation, including FLYING BUCCANEERS, LOG OF THE LIBERATORS PRIDE OF SEATTLE, and many more. This is a picture of ZOOTIE QUTIE. It is not the best picture, but I was out bid on the better pic. of this ship.

I read that you were in Viet Nam. My father was a MACV advisor and was killed early in 1965. He was quite a camera buff also. All of his picture slides and some photo albums were lost in a flood a few years ago. I think that is part of the reason I am so interested in saving these old B-17 snapshots. I want to preserve pictures of nameless pilots and ground grew because they all helped win W.W.2. I would rather have a snap shot than a super clear reprint.

Steve

post-5349-0-50770000-1369084545.jpg

Yeah that is a Radar radome on the photo , the Navy had the 17's with this

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. There is another photo I believe of this aircraft in the old ARCO AIRCAM series on the B-17... I seem to recall the tail number matched or was close to it.

Here is another PTO B-17 PACIFIC TRAMP I wish you could see more of the pin up. At least I think it is a B-17.

post-5349-0-31735700-1369182370.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Thanks Johnny. There is another photo I believe of this aircraft in the old ARCO AIRCAM series on the B-17... I seem to recall the tail number matched or was close to it.

Navy variant with the radome was the PB-1W. Very cool shot! Here's some more info on the Navy's mods:

http://vw1assoc.tripod.com/pb_1w_specif.html

Steve Birdsall

I can help on Pacific Tramp. I used this photo of her in my first book in Len Morgan's "Famous Aircraft Series". It was published in 1965 and the caption read: Pacific Tramp, a B-17H-95-DL of the 6th Emergency Rescue Squadron, Okinawa, 1946.

802.jpg

Well my goal was to get Renfield to the Aerovintage forum. Looks like it worked the other way around. Nice of you to join us Mr. Birdsall. I told you he had lots of 17 photos :)

Dan

rosieres64

Any one have pics of the YB-40's with the 92BG ?

I am also looking for a picture of a B-17F "Schickelgruber Shuttle Services Ltd", assigned to 92BG-407 BS. Crashed in France 6 Sep 1943.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info and input. I think it is great that we all can share these pictures and history. There is so much we can learn from each other. From the AAC stamp on the back this picture, it was taken at Langley Field. I think the date is 3-4-37. If so this is my oldest official B-17 picture. Well YB-17 photo. By 1937 standards it is a real beauty, even today it is a great looking plane. This picture is kind of neat to me as it shows the sleek, modern, state of the art bomber and biplanes in the background.

post-5349-0-21443500-1369265740.jpg

post-5349-0-15724000-1369265754.jpg

This is one of the very first B-17 pictures I ever bought. The name of the plane is SKIPPY and was snapped in Aug. 1943. Judging by the other pictures that came with it, it was a PTO plane. I have never found any info on it.

Steve

post-5349-0-62185900-1369267168.jpg

Hi Steve, It's been awhile. Came across a pic of one of your ships of interests on ebay. 43rd BG YANKEE DIDD'LER. Nice photo of her; do you have it? I've got a photo but its too large to post.

Regards,

Jack

41-2458

Steve Birdsall

Hi Jack - I think I saw that photo on eBay quite recently. I have several shots of 41-2458 at various times in her long career, but I'm always on the lookout for better ones. None of mine are particularly memorable except maybe this one . . .

. . YDWM.jpg

Hi Steve; Great color shot of her! My message though was for the other Steve, Mr.Renfield.

You have any color pics of 100th BG (H) ships late war? Roger Freeman had a great one in his book of KLEEN SWEEP going home in June,1945 with 52 mission marks. One of my dads flown ships.

Just got a batch of terrific photos from the pilots collection,still looking for color of Target for Tonight both at the 385th BG and later at Thorpe Abbotts.

Best as ever,

Jack

I just won the auction for the latest YANKEE DIDDLER picture. That gives me 3 unofficial snaps of the same ship. No one else bid on the picture, and I think it went for a fair price. I just saw a B-17 identification model sell for a cool $400.00. It was a nice piece in great condition but $400.00? All these years later the B-17 is still many peoples favorite plane.

This is a picture of JEANNIE with the co-pilot Lt. William Turner and gunner Sgt. Leibowitz. The pilot was Lt. Mario George. She flew with the 388BG(H). Lt. George kept an amazing scrapbook of pictures and notes during the war. It was all sold at an estate sale then split apart on Ebay. I bought what I could but the bidding got way out of hand. I had bids up over $140.00 on several pictures and was out bid. Some one spent thousands of dollars to buy most of the best pictures. I did manage to get some good ones. I even got some of his pre-mission briefing notes. I was hoping that a forum member might have bought some of the pictures and post them here. I have a bit of evidence that some ended up in the UK.

post-5349-0-28905600-1369428567.jpg

This is Lt. Mario George in front of his plane named after his wife. This is the most expensive picture I I have ever bought, I paid $78.00 for it and it really tells a story. On the back he has written about the picture.

post-5349-0-75447800-1369429017.jpg

The story behind this great picture. As a uniform and flight gear collector I like the fact that this is how he wore his gear on an actual mission. To me this is History with a capital "H"! You can see the stress in his face, just a great picture.

Steve

post-5349-0-83993500-1369429425.jpg

That is a great color pic. of YANKEE DIDDLER I had never seen her in all her glory! Thanks for posting it. I wish I had more PTO B-17's to share but I am happy to have what I do have. I will keep looking.

Steve