Photo report from "Flying Legends, 2011", Duxford, UK.

Sabrejet

Here are some of my contributions to the thread. May have to add these over the next couple of days. I was there on Sunday 10th July. The day after the mid air collision. Can anyone who was there confirm which aircraft were involved as all the reports I've seen say it was P-51D Mustang (D-FBBD) and a Douglas AD-4NA Skyraider (F-AZDP).

First up the Skyraiders. Note F-AZDP is partially visible on the left.

post-4976-1310427086.jpg

Here are some of my contributions to the thread. May have to add these over the next couple of days. I was there on Sunday 10th July. The day after the mid air collision. Can anyone who was there confirm which aircraft were involved as all the reports I've seen say it was P-51D Mustang (D-FBBD) and a Douglas AD-4NA Skyraider (F-AZDP).

First up the Skyraiders. Note F-AZDP is partially visible on the left.

Rob..the collision was at the very end of Sunday's display. Did you maybe leave early to avoid the traffic congestion and miss all that drama!?

Ian :w00t:

General Apathy

Hi Ian, what can I say, this is a sad piece of video to watch, it shows the moment of impact and then repeats it at a slower speed when it is much easier to see the wingtip hit.

mid-air collision of P-51 ‘Big Beautiful Doll’, piloted by Rob Davies, being clipped in the turn by the wingtip of the Skyraider owned by Amicale Jean Baptiste Salis.

http://www.flyingfilm.co.uk/

ken

Cobrahistorian

Huge kudos to Rob Davies' piloting skill. He regained control of the airplane and was able to guide it towards a safe area to come down before bailing out.

Again just my opinion, but it looks like the Skyraider pilot was looking at where he was planning on going, not where the airplane was headed.

Hi Ian, what can I say, this is a sad piece of video to watch, it shows the moment of impact and then repeats it at a slower speed when it is much easier to see the wingtip hit.

mid-air collision of P-51 ‘Big Beautiful Doll’, piloted by Rob Davies, being clipped in the turn by the wingtip of the Skyraider owned by Amicale Jean Baptiste Salis.

http://www.flyingfilm.co.uk/

ken

Thanks for posting that link Ken. With the literally hundreds of long-lenses pointing skyward at the airshow there was bound to be at least one person who captured the moment of impact. Looks like "human error" on the part of the Skyraider pilot.

Ian

I wasn't at Duxford but four of my old mates were present and today I had lunch with one of them who told me about the crash. He also sent me the link with the pictures.

I wasn't at Duxford but four of my old mates were present and today I had lunch with one of them who told me about the crash. He also sent me the link with the pictures.

The whole of Europe was represented there Andrei. I heard French, Dutch and German voices everywhere...maybe even your pals?!

Ian ;)

Rob..the collision was at the very end of Sunday's display. Did you maybe leave early to avoid the traffic congestion and miss all that drama!?

Ian :w00t:

Yes I did, I must have been getting into my car when it happened. Now I come to think of it, 2 police motorcycles went past the exit in a big hurry so.....

Will add more pics but short on time and resizing them is taking ages.

A line of Spits

An impressive line-up of Spits, wasn't it Rob? It's very heartening to note that the numbers of airworthy types seems to increase year on year!

Ian

Sure was. Just goes to show that people still have the time, money and inclination to get these warbirds (of all types) flying. Make you wonder how many are undergoing restoration now??