Photo report from "Flying Legends, 2011", Duxford, UK.

Sabrejet

Oh my god, so terrible to see!

I'm happy to hear the pilot wasn't killed.

Thanks for the photos of the warbirds.

Even for a "trackhead" like me, these are really interesting. ;)

Erwin

Down she goes....what a dramatic shot! There were literally hundreds of long lenses pointing skyward so there are probably many variations of this pic plus possibly video footage too?

I know we will have to wait for more information, but the plain appears to be undamaged!?

I know we will have to wait for more information, but the plain appears to be undamaged!?

Look at its underside JS...just behind the air-scoop. There's a visible impact damage there. The Skyraider is like a flying tank..no wonder it landed safely! Forum member Robbo will be adding some great pics later.

Ian

Oh my god, so terrible to see!

I'm happy to hear the pilot wasn't killed.

Thanks for the photos of the warbirds.

Even for a "trackhead" like me, these are really interesting. ;)

Erwin

You're welcome Erwin. Actually, there's a very good tank museum at Duxford too!

Ian

The Meatcan

nice pix Ian! thanks for the first-hand reporting from the show and the collision updates.

Great to see that P-38! One of my all-time favorite flying machines. She's a looker :thumbsup:

Terry

nice pix Ian! thanks for the first-hand reporting from the show and the collision updates.

Great to see that P-38! One of my all-time favorite flying machines. She's a looker :thumbsup:

Terry

A real looker for sure Terry! The highly polished finish she sports may not be strictly "GI" but she wears it well. When the P-38 was un-veiled in the 30s she must've looked like something from "Star Wars" to 1930s observers. Still looks waaaay cool today. A design icon!

Ian :thumbsup:

Excellent report and pics Ian.I had a brilliant day, loved it!The noise of those engines..i think im hooked now!!

The land forces museum was good too, especially the D-day landing craft experience.

Glad to hear the pilot bailed out safely.

Excellent report and pics Ian.I had a brilliant day, loved it!The noise of those engines..i think im hooked now!!

The land forces museum was good too, especially the D-day landing craft experience.

Glad to hear the pilot bailed out safely.

Thanks Hitman. Several of our paths must've crossed at the weekend. It's a pity we couldn't co-ordinate a forum members hook-up...though I did meet with Will, aka Corpsmancollector, on Saturday. I think the problem was that we attended on different days! Never mind...it's "War & Peace" at Beltring the weekend after next!

UPDATE

The BBC link I posted earlier has had video footage of the collision added to it.

For the benefit of our American and continental European members, what happens in the aftermath of any aviation accident in UK airspace is that the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) are called in. They will recover the wreck and painstakingly re-assemble it in a hangar. They will then forensically examine the wreckage looking for any sign of mechanical or structural failure which might have contributed to the collision...though in this case it looks like it was down to human error. Only then will they publish their findings in the public domain and take appropriate action. Thankfully, there was no loss of life so it will probably be a straightforward investigation. However, there might well be ramifications for "Flying Legends 2012" on health and safety grounds. For example, the flight plan for the "Balbo" massed fly-past might be changed to increase clearances between the participating aircraft...or, worse case scenario, dropped from the program altogether! We'll find out in due course.

Ian :(

Cobrahistorian

My hunch, and this is just opinion having watched the video, is that the Spad's wing basically snapped the Mustang's back. Not much you can do after that but hit the silk. The Skyraider is an amazing airplane and the fact that it was able to continue flying and land normally with a six foot section of wing simply gone is a testament to Ed Heinemann's engineering skill.

Jon

My hunch, and this is just opinion having watched the video, is that the Spad's wing basically snapped the Mustang's back. Not much you can do after that but hit the silk. The Skyraider is an amazing airplane and the fact that it was able to continue flying and land normally with a six foot section of wing simply gone is a testament to Ed Heinemann's engineering skill.

Jon

Just like the B-17s, B-24s and P-47s of WW2. Control surfaces shot to pieces, huge chunks missing from their tails and wings etc., yet they still made it home! Testimony to the skill of their pilots and the ruggedness of their construction.

Ian

SilverWings

Great shots my friend. I am jealous as I have only been there twice to see the static displays. I need to add this event to my bucket list!

Great shots my friend. I am jealous as I have only been there twice to see the static displays. I need to add this event to my bucket list!

Hi Greg. It's been almost a couple of years now since you last set foot on these shores. You're due a return visit!

Cobrahistorian

Ian, are there any flyable Typhoons? Now THAT would be something I'd love to see. If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I'd love to own (of course) a P-47 and a Tiffie. The Mustang's nice for flying high and going far, but for ordnance delivery, gimme a 47 or a Tiffie any day!

Jon

Hi Jon...good question. Personally, I've never seen a Typhoon (or a Tempest) participate in any British airshow. If there are any airworthy examples I'm pretty sure they'd be at "Flying Legends"...we can but hope! In the restoration hangars there's a very rare Blenheim under way plus another Warhawk and a Wildcat. It's amazing to see what these guys can do. If the necessary spares can't be found they just fabricate them from scratch using existing drawings. The P-47 "Snafu" has only just been completed and is absolutely immaculate! Unfortunately, it didn't get to fly at the weekend as it's currently awaiting its airworthiness certificate...but this time next year!! :w00t:

Ian

Cobrahistorian
Hi Jon...good question. Personally, I've never seen a Typhoon (or a Tempest) participate in any British airshow. If there are any airworthy examples I'm pretty sure they'd be at "Flying Legends"...we can but hope! In the restoration hangars there's a very rare Blenheim under way plus another Warhawk and a Wildcat. It's amazing to see what these guys can do. If the necessary spares can't be found they just fabricate them from scratch using existing drawings. The P-47 "Snafu" has only just been completed and is absolutely immaculate! Unfortunately, it didn't get to fly at the weekend as it's currently awaiting its airworthiness certificate...but this time next year!! :w00t:

Ian

Ian,

Yep, I've seen a few walkarounds of "Snafu" and she's just gorgeous! I was a little disappointed that she wasn't put in 9th or 12th AF markings, but considering she's at Duxford, 78th FG markings are perfect for her! Hopefully someday soon I'll get across the pond and actually get to see her firsthand!

Jon

Ian,

Yep, I've seen a few walkarounds of "Snafu" and she's just gorgeous! I was a little disappointed that she wasn't put in 9th or 12th AF markings, but considering she's at Duxford, 78th FG markings are perfect for her! Hopefully someday soon I'll get across the pond and actually get to see her firsthand!

Jon

Do you read "FlyPast" magazine Jon? That'll keep you up to date with all the goings on in the warbird world.

http://www.flypast.com/

Ian

Cobrahistorian
Do you read "FlyPast" magazine Jon? That'll keep you up to date with all the goings on in the warbird world.

http://www.flypast.com/

Ian

Normally I do, but since I'm no longer gainfully employed except for freelance writing and research, I'm not doing much magazine reading these days. Used to pick up FlyPast, Aeroplane, Aviation History, Warbirds International, etc... Now I pretty much pick up Finescale Modeler and that's it.

Hopefully that'll change soon!

Jon