Photo report from "Flying Legends, 2011", Duxford, UK.

Sabrejet

Some re-enactors acted as "guards" along the flight-line (with varying degrees of success!)

post-8022-1310327094.jpgpost-8022-1310327107.jpg

attachment=415089:2011_0709dux0056.JPG]

post-8022-1310327120.jpg

Now we have a collection of "good guys" and "bad guys"...various Marks of Spitfires and their arch-enemy, the Bf-109...actually Spanish made Buchons, in other words, 109 airframes mated with the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine which powered the Spit and the P-51...ironic isn't it?

post-8022-1310327534.jpgpost-8022-1310327557.jpg

attachment=415098:2011_0709dux0041.JPG]

post-8022-1310327569.jpg

Finally...yours truly with General Spaatz!!

post-8022-1310327993.jpg

"Th-th-that's all folks!!"

Sabrejet ;)

General Apathy
An A-10 tank-buster.

post-8022-1310326583.jpg

Damn Ian, you have been home several hours now and long enough to post all these shots, you know it's my birthday in October not so long away now, so which one dja git me. :console: :naughty: :twothumbup:

ken

Is it true P51 Big Beautiful Doll crashed today?

Hi Johan...you're kidding?! I hadn't heard that. I was at the show yesterday...travelled back today. I'll check the BBC news pages.

Ian

STOP PRESS!!!

This is on the net as we speak!

"P-51 Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll" has crashed at Legends, after a mid-air collision with the French Skyraider. The pilot was seen parachuting out and is ok - this has been announced over the airfield. The Skyraider, missing a large chunk of it's right wing, was able to make a safe landing at Duxford. It happened after the break away at the end of the Balbo. "

FYI...the "Balbo" is the massed fly-past which happens right at the end of the show each year. All of the participating planes fly in close formation...a very impressive sight. We seem to have lost a P-51 but thankfully at least its pilot survived!

I have just got home from the flying legends and sadly I have to report that durring the 30 plane flypast at the end of the show there was a mid air collision. I first noticed a large piece of debrie flying through the air, then one of the fighters nosed down and went in. the pilot bailed out and I saw his parachute deploy JUST in time. There was a lot of confusion on the ground as to which aircraft were involved. The comentator carried on as if nothing had happend. Just before I left they announced the pilot had been taken to hospital, but was definatley OK. Of the two aircraft that collided it was a Skyraider that got down safely with a large lump of wing tip missing. As to the plane that crashed its identity was not confirmed but it would appear tobe a p-51D mustang Big Beutiful Doll [as seen in Ians first pic]

But I stress, this still needs to be confirmed !!!!

Graham

Ian,

I'm not finished looking yet, but I have to say....."JOLLY GOOD (Picture) SHOW"!!

Thank you for all the work you put into this!! :thumbsup:

Ian,

I'm not finished looking yet, but I have to say....."JOLLY GOOD (Picture) SHOW"!!

Thank you for all the work you put into this!! :thumbsup:

My pleasure old boy! Got to keep you chaps over there in the colonies up to date with what going on in dear ol' Blighty, don't you know!

Toodle-pip!

Ian ;)

Great job, Ian. Really sad about the loss of BBD. But great that the pilot got out safely. :thumbsup:

Bobgee

Great job, Ian. Really sad about the loss of BBD. But great that the pilot got out safely. :thumbsup:

Bobgee

Yes indeed...thank God! Glad you enjoyed...shame that the accident has tainted it somewhat.

Ian :thumbsup:

Government Issue

My favorite mustang is now in ashes :crying:. She was and will forever be the most BEAUTIFUL of the mustangs! Thank the Lord the pilots are fine, I'm still amazed the sky raider supposedly landed missing a big chunk of the wing.

Thanks for posting... sounds like a great event....

Sorry to hear of the crash...just a reminder that operating these high powered machines has its hazards. A lot of us are still stinging from the recent crash of the B-17 Liberty Belle.

Great photos! That really looks like an awesome event. Totally bummed, however, on the loss of the P-51. I hate to see the loss of a any vintage aircraft...especially a P-51... :pinch: Thankfully, it sounds like no loss of life...that is a blessing.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

JD

Down she goes....what a dramatic shot! There were literally hundreds of long lenses pointing skyward so there are probably many variations of this pic plus possibly video footage too?

post-8022-1310361756.jpg