Photo report from "Flying Legends, 2011", Duxford, UK.

Sabrejet

Hello fellow forum-ers! I just got back from "Flying Legends 2011" earlier today. Just like the planes on display, time flies. I can't believe a whole year has elapsed already since the 2010 airshow! For the uninitiated, "Flying Legends" is Europe's premier annual vintage warbirds airshow...piston-powered heaven! If you want to see perfectly preserved airworthy warbirds strutting their stuff, this is the place to be! I've got a lot of pics to add to this thread which I hope will convey the flavour of the event, so, if you're reading this "live" then please hang in there as it'll take a while to upload them all!

As this is a USGI forum I will, of course, focus on the many American airplanes which were there. However, I'll also sneak in a few others too in order to complete the overview of the show (hope that's OK mods?) As we go along I'll add a caption or two to set it in context. Chocks away...and enjoy the ride!

Firstly, the context. The ex RAF airfield at Duxford is the home of the Imperial War Museum's (IWM) aviation branch. It's also the home of the spectacular American Air Museum, built as a grateful tribute to the many thousands of American Airman who flew from their British bases (including Duxford) during WW2. The old WW2 hangars house museum exhibits and the workshops of The Fighter Collection whose restored warbirds are permanently based at Duxford. The original grass airfield is still very active and it's not unusual on any given day to see vintage warbirds flying overhead on test flights etc. If you ever visit the UK then do try to get along to Duxford. Trust me...you won't regret it!

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

"SNAFU"...the newly restored P-47D in the distinctive checkerboard livery of the 84th FS / 78th FG who were based at Duxford during WW2.

post-8022-1310324225.jpg

P-38L. For me, the star of the show. An object of sculptural beauty which also happens to fly. It was a real thrill to see it airborne!

post-8022-1310324760.jpgpost-8022-1310324772.jpg

This Skyraider logged a lot of combat hours in the Korean War, flying off of the USS Princeton (CV-37)

post-8022-1310325253.jpg

The USN/USMC's Bearcat. This high-performance fighter came into service just a tad too late to see action during WW2!

post-8022-1310325361.jpg

The famous B-17 "Sally B"...Europe's only airworthy example of the type and an icon to all aviation enthusiasts. It's becoming more and more difficult to "Keep her flying" due to escalating fuel and insurance costs. The owners are largely reliant on donations from the public to meet her running costs. It would be a tragedy if she were to be grounded due to lack of funds! You'll notice she still bears the nose-art of the "Memphis Belle"...a hangover from her part in the movie of the same name.

post-8022-1310325771.jpgpost-8022-1310325788.jpg

post-8022-1310325809.jpg

The next selection of shots were taken in and around the impressive, glass-fronted American Air Museum. The B-17 wing section is from "Mary Alice" which is currently undergoing restoration work. She normally sits at the front of the museum.

post-8022-1310326047.jpgpost-8022-1310325964.jpg

The innards of a B-24's radial engine, plus a mannequin display depicting groundcrewmen conducting maintenance work. They weren't all glamorous fly-boys!

post-8022-1310326336.jpgpost-8022-1310326240.jpg

A pair of bi-planes. A Stearman in bright blue/yellow pre-war Stateside training colours and a WW1 Spad of the famous "Hat in the ring" squadron.

post-8022-1310326413.jpgpost-8022-1310326396.jpg