Woman's Cap Patch ID Needed

CampSutton

CampSutton

I just picked this cap up and am trying to Identify the patch. I am leaning toward Red Cross based on the shape of the red background. It looks like a blood drop. Anyone out there have this identified??????

post-2599-1310228379.jpg

post-2599-1310228415.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Jack

I looked thru the Red Cross section of my "Dressed for Duty" book. I did not see anything that looked like this. I will look thru more books. Are there any tags inside the uniform?

....Kat

:w00t: It took a bit of research, but I found it. It is the insignia for the Woman's Lamaze Corps, or "WOLAMCO".

The insignia is of a female bird carrying a twig back to her nesting site, hence the term...Nesting Instinct. The drop of blood was to signify the Medical Corps, (in conjunction with the Red Cross) which was the units base Command. :rolleyes:

Reel'um in!!

Our member hhbooker2 has a hobby of copying old, period printed reference books and maintains them on line.

One of his posts included a WWII book on volunteer organizations for women. Some of them had some fairly bizarre uniforms. I was hoping this might

be one of them, but I did not find a match.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=31204

:w00t: It took a bit of research, but I found it. It is the insignia for the Woman's Lamaze Corps, or "WOLAMCO".

The insignia is of a female bird carrying a twig back to her nesting site, hence the term...Nesting Instinct. The drop of blood was to signify the Medical Corps, (in conjunction with the Red Cross) which was the units base Command. :rolleyes:

Reel'um in!!

Where the heck did you find that bit of obscurity? I tried to Google that after you wrote that and I got zip!

Where the heck did you find that bit of obscurity? I tried to Google that after you wrote that and I got zip!

Gil,

Read it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek! ;)

Gil,

Read it with a bit of tongue-in-cheek! ;)

Remind me never to play poker with you.

Wow, he had me too....

:blink:

Honestly the collar patches sort of look European ( Belgian, Spanish, come to mind)

any makers labels or anything?

There are no labels or marking on the uniform any where except for the buttons that are marked Defiance 36. Defiance is a company out of New York that makes the machine that make cloth covered buttons, 36 I would assume is the size (36 Line). Of course this is not to say the machine was not exported to another country and the whole uniform made some place else. It is fully lined and very well made, I am surprised some one did not want to take credit for it.

post-2599-1310228415.jpg

There is a size in the hat. It is 22. On the back of the size appears to be "RN25454".

The name Elenore is written on the inside. I am still looking for an ident.

Thanks to all that have looked.

Jack

Hey guys,

Son of a Jack :w00t: had me going too! My dad recognized the falcon with barbell. We have a patch that was IDed as the Polish Falcons of America. Same bird as the uniform and hat. The organization has changed their logo now, but the falcon and barbel is still present, but more ferocious looking. Will take a picture of the patch when I get back from work. Anyway, I think it almost has to be the PFA.

Anyway, I think it almost has to be the PFA.

This forum is amazing for identifying items. I just did a google search and I think you are right. I have not found this exact uniform but I did find some that look like this patch. I can't wait to see your patch.

....Kat

It would appear you are absolutely right, I did some checking on the web and there is lots of information on the Polish Falcons of America although I had never heard of them until now. The falcon and barbell is part of their current logo and goes all the way back to their parent organization the Sokol in Poland. They appear to be strictly a fraternal organization like the Sons of Italy or other ethnic groups. I guess this is one uniform I can eliminate form the collection. Thanks to everyone who helped on this and to CampSutton for starting this thread

Polskie Towarzystwo Gimnastyczne "Sokół" existed since 1867 up to WWII. Below you can see pre-WW1 "mother" of all Sokol logos known in the USA from the Polish organizations.

Regards

Gregory

post-75-1312014134.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
They appear to be strictly a fraternal organization like the Sons of Italy or other ethnic groups. I guess this is one uniform I can eliminate form the collection.

Don't be too quick to get rid of this...

During both World Wars, everyone wanted to be in uniform to show that they were doing their "bit" for the war effort. Both overseas and on the Home Front, many organizations (commercial, service, fraternal, etc) organized "uniform ranks" to conduct patriotic war service. Some of these organizations were officially recognized and sanctioned by the government for their work, and others did it as an adjunct to their existing service charters. Some organizations wore variations of government uniforms with the military distinctive insignia removed, others wore uniforms of their own designs.

This uniform may have been simply an Honor Guard's ceremonial uniform, but it also may bear further research to see if it isn't a secondary militaria uniform from the home front.

Chris