8th air force museum

mes

I just returned from Hilton Head Island SC and had a chance to go through the 8th air force museum in Savanah Georgia

Here is photos of some of the displays. They have a Medal Of Honor display to William Lawley 305 bomb group. Worth a visit if your in the area.

They recently added a B-17 they are restoring to wartime condition

P7070866.jpg

P7070869.jpg

P7070870.jpg

P7070871.jpg

P7070874.jpg

P7070882.jpg

P7070884.jpg

P7070886.jpg

P7070888.jpg

P7070875.jpg

P7070876.jpg

P7070877.jpg

They have great display model of the polesti raid P7070861.jpg

P7070865.jpg

P7070891.jpg

Wasp display

P7070894.jpg

The memorial chapel

P7070898-1.jpg

Stained glass windows in the chapel

P7070899-1.jpg

Now I'm REALLY kicking myself for not stopping by during my trip to Savannah last year! Thanks for sharing the pictures, though. What an amazing collection and first class museum!

Great pictures. I would love to go there. I like the photo of the oil tanks burning with what looks like a B-24 Liberator leaving the scene. That is really cool... :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

JD

Thanks for posting Mark... the wife and I were just discussing visiting Savannah this winter... this gives us one more reason to go... along with visiting Paula Deen's restaurant!

Government Issue

Very nice stuff not to mention the B17! :w00t: If I only had the cash... Haha. I've never been to this museum but don't they have a mockup of Don Bryan's mustang Little one III or something. I can't remember if it was his plane or not, but I can barely see a Bluenoser behind the B17.

wwIIfighterpilots

Thanks for sharing the photos. Love the painted A-2 jackets.

I am in Georgia, I need to get to that museum.

I visited this museum a few years ago when I was in Savannah and it is definitely worth the trip. Thanks for posting.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting these photos! I was down there a couple of years ago and it was well worth the stop. Do they still have the waist gunner video game working?

I visited the 8th Air Force Museum last summer. VERY impressed! It is an excellent place to visit. I really like their diaromas and aircraft displays. The amount of artifacts there keeps growing too. I also enjoyed buying some 8th AF stuff in the gift shop.