M10 meets Ersatz M10

Proud Kraut

Excellent job.. :twothumbup: ..I wish I had better skills and more time to do work like that!

Thank you Ski! Two short remarks:

Skills: When I returned to modeling after a 30 year break I nearly knew nothing more than painting a model with a brush and doing a little drybrush. After two years now, I think everybody is able to do everything possible by just copying some of the countless tutorials one can find online e.g. at youtube etc.

Time: This is a hobby for people without time. Believe me, I know, what I'm talking about. I have a full time job, a family with a couple of children, a house and a garden to care for. Not every day but 2-3 times a week, late in the evening or early in the morning (Sat/Sun) I'm taking my time (max. 30-60 minutes) to work on my projekts. For me a wonderfull opportunity to slow down. MUCH better than to watch all this trash on TV. Almost comparable with reading a book and drinking a good bottle of wine :thumbsup:

Thanks again

Lars

Superb rendition of the battle damage Lars! I'd have been too scared to risk ruining the model!! :w00t:

Thanks Ian! As well I didn't want to ruin the model completely. It doesn't look so at all, but this model can be restored easily. I could wash away the pigments and could give it a new paint. Before that, I just would need to fill the bullet hole, aplly the rear wheel and fix the track again. Null problemo! ;)

Thanks & Regards

Lars

Nighttemperature nearly minus 20 degrees over here - time to fiddle with the dio snow. After experimenting with cast, I got better results with Natron. I purchased a kilo in the drugstore. I also needed a sieve and a little bit of wood glue mixed with water.

Sch2.jpg

Sch1.jpg

I masked the M 10, leaving out those areas that should be snow covered. The free areas were brushed with the wood glue/water mix.

Sch3.jpg

Sch4.jpg

Before removing the tape I fixed the natron with hairspry. After removing the tape I painted gloss varnish around the snow spots to make those spots look wet.

Sch6.jpg

Very nice effect.

I used chalk and water and got this effect (sorry, it's no US vehicle) ...

KingTigermodel2.jpg

KingTigermodel1.jpg

It is an old model I still have (it is on display together with my books).

Erwin

That looks great, just like fresh snow! Did you fix the chalk with varnish or hairspray?

Lars

Lars, I used hairspray (and a lot of it!).

Erwin

I was alerted, that positioning the inside of the two ruins face to face would result in a huge pile of rubble in the center of the dio. Not enough place for 3 vehicles left. That's right!

PhS_0.jpg

I decided to turn around the ruins and positioned the Ersatz M 10 in the center of the dio, leaving the other two US vehicles right and left in front of the Ersatz M 10. So far so good.

comp_IMG_0266.jpg

It appeared to me that my dio was still without a clear line – until today. Starting to work on the figures, I thought that especially the figures from the Dragon „101st Abn Div at Bastogne“ set look like they are in combat, on patrol or...

comp_Fig01.jpg

...posing for a photo! I think I finally found my „story“: An Infantry squad poses in front of the knocked out Ersatz M 10. The photographer stops the US M 10 that follows the road-clearing Sherman dozer. While waiting the crew of the M 10 watches the scene.

PhS_01.jpg

your dozer sherman and the Ersatz m10 look amazing, if it was my dio i would turn the ersatz m10 180 degrees so that the tank is pointing twords the m10, other than that it looks awsome !

McCallion

Lars, it's coming along nicely! I have to admit that I liked the initial triangular layout of the vehicles. However, your idea of using figures to tell a story looks like a great idea. The figures are much more conducive to presenting the story and add a ton of interest to your overall work. I like it :thumbsup:

Terry